1st Cold/Hot Bacon Smoke in GMG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Well, it's bacon time again. I bought 40 lbs. from Costco a couple weeks ago, dividing them up into 20 lbs. each of Maple and Black Pepper. Both were dry cured.
The Maple was done with both maple sugar in the calculations, and some bourbon cask maple syrup, to make a paste. I am hoping this will give it more maple flavor without having to resort to maple extract, because I just don't know how to calculate something that concentrated. (Yes, there is cure #1 in there; it was just camera shy.)
20191117_162107.jpg
20191117_175129.jpg
20191117_174938.jpg

As my fridge smoker is still on the fritz, I am dividing the batches up this 26° morning. Maple will go into the MES30 to be warm smoked as usual, with corn cob and cherry in the mailbox mod.
But since I don't relish the idea of smoking all day Saturday AND Sunday, I'm going to try a cold/hot smoke for the Pepper batch in my GMG Daniel Boone. Starting out cold with 2 loads of Lumberjack Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry) pellets in my 6" tube smoker in the GMG. This should put about 3 hours of cold smoke to them. Then I will turn it on to the lowest setting of 150° with more of the same.
I'm using a couple of jerky racks that I bought on Amazon, separated by 2" wood blocks. They're a good fit for my Daniel Boone. I placed the thicker pieces on the right side, which tends to be the hotter side, but I'm not real concerned if I'm staying at 150°. I've never done it either way in the GMG, so this will be an adventure.

Hot smoking is new to me, but there are a couple threads here by people who have used a GMG to do it. It appears that about 6 hours in the hot smoke should do it. We shall see.
20191130_060523.jpg

20191130_061007.jpg

20191130_061003.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Jabiru
So far, so good. Hard to see, but there is steady, thin smoke coming from the chimney.
20191130_122930.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
A great variety of bacon you have made. I would like to try a maple one myself.

Cold and then hot is was I do Too. When I run 150 to 180 on my CMG it uses about a handful of pellets every 8 hours, very efficient. Pretty awesome.

Nice! Feel free to take one of those suckers to an IT of 145F and you have immediately edible bacon right out of the pack!!! It looks and feels like bacon but is edible. I tell people to try my "bacon cold cuts" and they look at me a little oddly but after having a try they then proceed to devour the whole package hahahaha. 90% of my bacon get's eaten without hitting a skillet because it is edible out of the package and tastes AMAZING! :emoji_astonished:

Also it has been said that the wood used to smoke bacon does not matter. This is both wrong and correct...
You CAN taste the wood flavor differences if the bacon is cooked soft or edible like I do mine.
You cannot taste the wood flavor differences if you cook the bacon to being crispy because the differences in wood flavor and subtleties get obliterated by the hard cooking that is making crispy bacon. The wood flavor is there and great but hard if not impossible to tell the difference in types of wood used to smoke the bacon. I did some tests that figured this out a while back lol.

Anyhow do what you will and it looks like no matter what you are going to have amazing bacon! :)

Reactions: Bearcarver
Maybe next time.
I ended up pulling the GMG pepper bacon right after the MES maple bacon finished up at 12 hours. GMG went 4 hours in cold smoke, and 7 hours in the hot smoke at 150°. The IT in both ended about the same, around 110°, and equally shiny. But if they taste as good as they look, I'll be happy. Now they're wrapped snug in plastic, to equalize in the fridge.

Maple from the MES.
20191130_183531.jpg

20191130_191939.jpg

Pepper from the GMG.
20191130_184015.jpg

20191130_192407.jpg

It looks great, can't wait for the taste report :D

Hey MNeeley,
I forgot to tell you how much I like the color of your Bacon.
That's how I like mine to be too.
When I was a Kid, Blue was my favorite color.
Then when I went to school, I liked Blue even more, because Blue & White was my High School Colors.
Then My favorite College Team, Penn State's colors are Blue & White too.

But then when I started Smoking Meat my favorite color changed to a Redish Brown, or it could be called Mahogany.

Or Like George Foreman said when he guest Starred on an episode of "Sanford & Son".
He said, "Freddie, I love your hair, it's my favorite Color---Meat !!"

Bear

Well it looks like you will have plenty of bacon for the year!
Nice color!!
Al
You'd think. But most of this goes to my in-laws for Christmas. I made the mistake of starting this a few years ago, and now they've come to expect it.

Hey MNeeley,
I forgot to tell you how much I like the color of your Bacon.
That's how I like mine to be too.

Bear
Yeah, I'm convinced it's the cherry wood that gives it that color. There was cherry in both smokes.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky