1st attempt was a faliure...Trying to make the 2nd a success! PLEASE HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Heres an update:

I made a few modifications to my COS.

1. Extended the chimney down to the grate

2. Flipped the coal tray and using a grinder I made four 8"L 1/8"W cuts

3. Put an edging block in the bottom to hold heat (Do I need more?) My buddy is bringing me bricks back after the weekend so this will have to do.

4. Bought 2 thermometers with wires attached for each side of the grate. (What to I use to keep them off of the grate?) I see a lot that loot like they're stuck through a piece of wood.

5. Have aluminum pans. (Do I need to add water? If so: How much & what's the best placement?)

6. In the process of building a coal basket for the firebox.

I wasn't able to find anything to seal up around the edges. Will this be a problem? I'm still looking for this material.

I would like to do a test smoke on a Pork Tenderloin this Saturday any recommendations on how to prep would be great.

Sunday I plan to attempt a brisket.

I have apple wood and mesquite wood chunks for smoke.

Thank you for reading!

Heres an update:

I made a few modifications to my COS.

1. Extended the chimney down to the grate

2. Flipped the coal tray and using a grinder I made four 8"L 1/8"W cuts

3. Put an edging block in the bottom to hold heat (Do I need more?) My buddy is bringing me bricks back after the weekend so this will have to do.

4. Bought 2 thermometers with wires attached for each side of the grate. (What to I use to keep them off of the grate?) I see a lot that loot like they're stuck through a piece of wood.

5. Have aluminum pans. (Do I need to add water? If so: How much & what's the best placement?)

6. In the process of building a coal basket for the firebox.

I wasn't able to find anything to seal up around the edges. Will this be a problem? I'm still looking for this material.

I would like to do a test smoke on a Pork Tenderloin this Saturday any recommendations on how to prep would be great.

Sunday I plan to attempt a brisket.

I have apple wood and mesquite wood chunks for smoke.

Thank you for reading!
Any auto parts store will have high temp silicon. use it to form a gasket for the door and to seal small leaks. Be careful when using mesquite wood  .It has a great flavor for beef but is strong and to much can over power you meat.  when smoking a good fatty cut of meat like butts or brisket  i don't worry about water. Pork loin has very little fat so you may want to set a pan of water in the bottom of the cooking chamber next to the FB opening. You can also mop the loin but remember every time you open the door you loose heat.

To made your own gasket with silicon, lay a bead on the smoker's flange then cover it with plastic wrap. Then "gently" lower the door to kind of squish the silicon level. Don't use a lot I'd force. After a couple of hours you can remove the plastic wrap. Once it's fully cured you should have a perfect seal.

Thanks to all of my 2nd attempt was a success! Smoked a pork tenderloin last night for my with and I and it turned out GREAT! Had great TBS throughout the smoke. Temps spiked and dropped multiple times but nothing to serious. In the end I cut into it and there was the Glorious smoke ring I had hoped to see! Flavor was amazing! Thanks again for all of the advice and tricks! Tonight is a pork butt and 4 cheese mac n cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky