17lb Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheSaltyDog

Original poster
May 25, 2022
Got a 17lb Brisket for the first time going on a Treager for Mem Day weekend. Any advice on the planning the total cooking time so I can have it ready for 3pm

When to start?
Also if it gets done early stick it in cooler to stay warm?

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome, from California. Head on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself. We'd love to get to know you better.

You can easily search this site for some expert brisket advice. Matt at Meat Church just posted a great video on You Tube called "Brisket on a Pellet Grill" where he uses a Treager and does just what you're looking for. I hope that helps.

Be sure to take pictures of your adventure and post them here.

Lots to consider in order to have it ready to consume by 3pm. It will most likely get trimmed, my guess is that 3-4 lbs will be removed yielding a smoke weight in the 13-14 lb range. Definitely will have to start the previous evening. You will need a wireless thermometer that can alert you if something goes wrong? Way too many stories here on SMF of the smoker dying in the middle of the night. Hopefully one that has at least two probes. One for the grate temp and the other placed in the thickest part of the flat. One thing to note on Meat Church's video is the overall thickness of the brisket he used. It really helps when, with trimming, you can get such an thick and even looking brisket.

Hard to give exact times, every brisket will act a little different, my guess anywhere from 10-16 hours at around 275, yes if it's done earlier just let it cool a little so it doesnt continue to cook then wrap it up and stick in cooler that will hold it for hours.

Reactions: 912smoker
I did my 2nd brisket this past weekend. It started out at 17lb before trimming. Probably 13 or 14 when I put it on the T grill. Started at 9pm at 220. Woke up to my InkBird probe alarm at 230am. Was surprised it reached internal temp of 160 that early. So I pulled it and wrapped with foil and put back on grill at 330am. Kept temp at 220. Woke back up at 6am. And it was done at 8am. Wrapped with towel and laid it to rest in my cooler for another 3hrs. I had 3 temp probes inside my Thrill. Left side is always 50d higher than middle/right side. Brisket turned out to be edible. Made some Texas brisket chili 2 days later.
Pork shoulders is next up for this Memorial Day weekend.

Hard to give exact times, every brisket will act a little different, my guess anywhere from 10-16 hours at around 275, yes if it's done earlier just let it cool a little so it doesnt continue to cook then wrap it up and stick in cooler that will hold it for hours.
Yep, every brisket is different. I've had some of equal size finish in 8 hours, and some over 24 hours. Upshot, start early. It's better to be done a few hours early, than a few hours late. As smokerjim reminds us, you can always wrap in towels and let it hold in a cooler.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky