100 lb propane tank reverse flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fink39581

Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Good afternoon everyone. I am consiering a project first off this will be a smaller version of the grill i really want. I am wanting something along the lines of what http://easttexassmokercompany.com/  has to offer so what i am doing is using a 100lb propane tank and will be attemtping to mount it on a small utility trailer. This servers two purposes 1 I know nothing about welding so this will give me the opportunity to learn something new, and 2 i will have the luxury of saying i did that when its done. Ok now down to the problem , I am drawing everything out on paper so i can have a good idea as to how i am going to do it and in what stages i am going to do it in. I used the feldons bbq smoker calculator to see what size my firebox should be and i am trying to figure out how to convert that into a box it gives me cu inches if anybody on here can shed some light on that it would be greatly appreciated. I am the type of person where it has to look perfect and work just as well in order to have a good feeling about it i have come up with a this so far the tank is 14.7 in in diameter, so im thinking the firebox would be 13.7 or maybe a little less because i simply want to have the rounded edges from the bottom of the tank showing. I planned to  do a warmer as well that sits on top of the firebox all of this will be insulated as well so if someone could give me an idea as to how big my firebox should be i am trying to stay withing the width of 13.7 in even with the double walls. the door i plan to cut out 2--4 inches from the top of the tank and have two shelves in the inside the size the calculator told me i should use is well here is the link to it Link to BBQ Pit Calculator any help would be appreciated

Fink, morning....  I think you should draw the smoker to scale first.... 15" diam. cook chamber.... that will leave about 9-10" of height above a single cooking grate... I don't know how you will get 2 racks in it... A little more planning will help us answer your questions... Also, 37" length, subtracting the radius ends and door opening, your cooking grate will end up about 24" long X 12" deep X 9" high....   

Dave

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky