1/4 chicken dinner in MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Smoked 1/4 chickens in my MES for hours at 240F.
I had put baking powder on the skin as well as the rub. The skin was a little crispier but not what wanted. Any one got suggestions.
Chicken tasted GOOOOOD and made mac'n'cheese as a side.

Attachments

• 20220130_183558.jpg
    20220130_183558.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 27
Some people finish on a grill or high direct heat, but I never had any luck doing good skin on poultry in MES of Traeger. So I only do chicken on kettle now. Sorry!

That looks tasty though! Good work!

Have you tried letting them sit in the fridge unwrapped on a rack overnight?
Doing that will help get the skin good and dry while forming a pellicle. Also, if you can, crank up the heat on your smoker to 265° - 275°.
The skin won't be as crispy as a high heat cook, but the results will be less rubbery skin.
Yours look pretty good they way they are.

Reactions: 912smoker
Smoked 1/4 chickens in my MES for hours at 240F.
I had put baking powder on the skin as well as the rub. The skin was a little crispier but not what wanted. Any one got suggestions.
Chicken tasted GOOOOOD and made mac'n'cheese as a side.
Use a hand held propane torch. I have. Or place under a broiler for a few min.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky