WSM or Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think you are probably right. I saw the same one and the guy wasn't coming off his price. Can't imagine he sold it.  I love this forum and all the good advice. Hopefully one day I can repay the favor!

wSM seems to have a loyal following. My only fear is pulling the trigger on the WSM and still wanting the Egg. 18.5 inches is what i plan to buy.

Howdy, Kettle Man!

I have a bit of a different suggestion for you: Make a mini-WSM !

Even if you have to buy everything new, it will be hard to spend a hundred bucks. Shop craigslist for a smokey joe (little Weber) and get a 32-qt tamale steamer from wally world (or Amazon if you have to). Buy 2 or 3 grills to fit the tamale cooker and bob's yer uncle.

Search here and on the rest of the interwebs if you feel the need. You will get all the info you need.

FWIW, a year ago I was just getting into smoking. MLW convinced me that I would never be able to tend a stick burner for the amount of time needed for smoking and suggested I buy the MES. I got the $300 40" with a window at Sam's. I found SMF and somebody (Woodguy, I think) posted about building a mini-WSM. I already had a smokey joe; so I didn't take much convincing. I built one and love it.

I started looking around cl for another smokey joe to build one for my new SIL and found a 22.5" Weber kettle for $25.00. Now I have the big Weber for grilling and some smoking, the mini-WSM for smaller smokes (use it a lot because there are only the 2 of us) and the MES 40 which doesn't get used as much anymore except when I need to set it and forget it.

I'd like to have a BGE, but the better half would hang me by the parts that hurt real bad if I was to buy one. It can probably do things at high temps that I can't do but if it comes to that we have the kitchen.

I'm jonesing for a UDS. Might be one of those in my future 'cause I like to tinker and it looks like something else to learn.

HTH

I 2nd also watching craigslist.  I've seen some guys score them for under $50 in excellent condition.  The $100 to $150 range units show up fairly regular around here it seems (at least once a month).

As long as all the parts are there, not much to break on a WSM.  And if it's missing parts like the water pan, use that as a negative to negotiate the price down even lower and then pick up a $5 "el-cheapo Brinkmann" charcoal pan from Academy Sports.  It's a perfect fit and holds twice as much water anyway (it's a common mod on WSM's).  Weber will sell you any of the parts, so there is pretty much nothing that can't be replaced.

Last edited:
I agree with the 18" model. It'll cost you less up front, it holds a lot (plenty for most friends & family events),

you'll spend w-a-y less for fuel, and it takes up less space.  Dollar for dollar, I'd skip the egg.  They are wonderful,

but the WSM is fantastic, and it sounds like you are on a budget.  The egg is not a budget item. I had an egg, but sold it

after I bought my WSM.

It doesn't sound like you are in a hurry to purchase, so keep looking.  Drugstore.com had the 18" model for $229 

a while back.  It's an in & out item for them (spring & summer I think).  They bring them in and blow them out.  

It's tough to find WSM's on Craigslist, because once you own one, you typically hold on to it.  I've been thinking about

getting one for our beach house, and noticed that Amazon is holding pretty steady at $299.  We'll see what the price

is in May or June.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky