Will I make it in time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ismokeforfun

Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Dover NH
I am a first timer on the forum. I plan on smoking a 16 lbs. turkey in my master built. If I put it in around 1:00am at 275 do you think it will be ready by noon time. I also plan on putting it in the oven at the end at 500 to crisp up the skin. Any pointers will be great.

If you put it in at 1am it could be ready for breakfast!  All turkeys I've done have weighed between 12-16 pounds and all took less than 10 hours at 225.

I assume you have a Masterbuilt electric (MES) and it tops out at 275*. a 16# bird is pretty big to smoke but keep the temp maxed out and don't open the door and let any heat out. I would think it shouldn't take longer than 9 hours probably less. I've done a couple of 12#'ers and they went right at 6 hours. Don't stuff the bird, cook your stuffing separate. 

I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to Roll Call and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

Thanks for the feed back. I looks like I can sleep a little longer. Yes I will go to roll call thanks.

Should I put water in the pan or not? Or should I use the pan for drippings.
Water in the pan is up to you both ways work. You definitely will want drippings, however, I am sure the MES water pan is not a good choice. It is too close to the heat source and will end up cooking out any juices that accumulate then burn. Get a disposable...JJ

If it was me....I would put some water in the pan and save the drippings from it for gravy. When the bird gets to 155 I would finish in a 375 degree oven to crisp the skin (turkey IT should be 165 breast and 175 thighs) and then let rest for 30-45 min....

A Chef's Note: I would put 1 medium onion julienne cut, 1 medium carrot sliced and 1 rib of celery sliced in the water pan while the turkey is smoking. When I pull the bird to crisp the skin, I would puree the vegetables into the liquid and adjust with chicken stock. Strain and serve... The vegetable puree will thicken your gravy. However if you want it thicker you can make a 50/50 slurry of corn starch and water and stir in a little at a time to the gravy as it boils on the stove till you get the consistency you want.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky