Whole Chicken on the Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Hey Guys

I just wanted to pass along last night's cook in the hope that it might help anyone who will be cooking whole chickens for the 4th

I used the recipe for Jeff's smoked chicken which was super easy to follow. I made a few changes.
  1. I brined* the chicken for 36 hours. I use a special mix of seasonings that have been a home run for me when it comes to poultry.
  2. I removed the bird, and pat dry
  3. I used Big Mo Cason's Chicken Rub (sugar, paprika, pink sea salt, celery salt, granulated onion, chili powder, mustard and cayenne)
  4. Lift skin and add rub under the skin
  5. I used the brine and injected it throughout the bird
  6. Set smoker to 225 and cook, breast side down, for one hour
  7. Flipped bird over and cooked at 250 for 2 hours
  8. Monitored temps throughout the cook and removed at 155 degrees
Without a doubt, this was the best-tasting whole bird I have ever cooked. Hats off to Jeff (as usual) for a great recipe!

Happy 4th Everyone.

Please be safe.

Peace

*if anyone wants the brine recipe, just LMK

Hey Guys

I just wanted to pass along last night's cook in the hope that it might help anyone who will be cooking whole chickens for the 4th

I used the recipe for Jeff's smoked chicken which was super easy to follow. I made a few changes.
  1. I brined* the chicken for 36 hours. I use a special mix of seasonings that have been a home run for me when it comes to poultry.
  2. I removed the bird, and pat dry
  3. I used Big Mo Cason's Chicken Rub (sugar, paprika, pink sea salt, celery salt, granulated onion, chili powder, mustard and cayenne)
  4. Lift skin and add rub under the skin
  5. I used the brine and injected it throughout the bird
  6. Set smoker to 225 and cook, breast side down, for one hour
  7. Flipped bird over and cooked at 250 for 2 hours
  8. Monitored temps throughout the cook and removed at 155 degrees
Without a doubt, this was the best-tasting whole bird I have ever cooked. Hats off to Jeff (as usual) for a great recipe!

Happy 4th Everyone.

Please be safe.

Peace

*if anyone wants the brine recipe, just LMK
Of course we do, send it my way please.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky