Who likes Carnitas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radio

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
S.W. Mo
These are dead simple to make, but are incredibly delicious!
20180213_181953.jpg
I cubed up some pork shoulder and cooked in the pot until well browned, then drained and added one jar of Herdez salsa casera and simmered until the meat was tender. Been making these for 20 years and they never disappoint!

Looks great we eat tacos about 2-3 times a week here in my house. Those sound simple and will have to give them a try for something different
Thank

Reactions: radio
Looks great we eat tacos about 2-3 times a week here in my house. Those sound simple and will have to give them a try for something different
Thank
I have tried other canned salsas, but Herdez is the best I have found. The red comes in varying stages of heat, so examine the label carefully as it will have a bar denoting mild or hot. I usually add a can of Green and two cans of Red, but had no Green in the pantry this time.

Those look delicious, nice job.
Now I want a few tacos.

I agree, Herdez is right up there.
I use a lot of their salsas and chiles in my cooking, really like their Chipotles in Adobo sauce.
Their canned/jarred salsas, cooking sauces, chiles, fruits and vegetables are very good.
Those are good, but I don't care for most of their 'fresh' products, e.g. tortilla chips, tortillas and such.

After seeing this, I may have to make some carnitas this weekend.
I do my Carnitas a lil'different.
I marinate cubed pork shoulder in 3 parts orange juice, 1 part lime juice, generous amounts of salt and cumin for 3-4 hours.
Then lightly deep fry on med heat for about two hours, finish on high heat to crisp.

Last edited:
Reactions: idahopz and radio
Those look delicious, nice job.
Now I want a few tacos.

I agree, Herdez is right up there.
I use a lot of their salsas and chiles in my cooking, really like their Chipotles in Adobo sauce.
Their canned/jarred salsas, cooking sauces, chiles, fruits and vegetables are very good.
Those are good, but I don't care for most of their 'fresh' products, e.g. tortilla chips, tortillas and such.

After seeing this, I may have to make some carnitas this weekend.
I do my Carnitas a lil'different.
I marinate cubed pork shoulder in 3 parts lime juice, 1 part orange juice, generous amounts of salt and cumin for 3-4 hours.
Then lightly deep fry on med heat for about two hours, finish on high heat to crisp.

Those would be to die for alright! forgot to mention I squeeze Lime juice on them just before devouring. Never tried the O.J, but Lime and Pork are a match made in Heaven

I love carnitas. Toss in a little milk halfway through the cooking process and let the pork fry a little when the liquid is gone and heaven awaits.

I've never tried the milk. Might have to give that a shot.

I generally use leftover, smoked pulled pork to make my version of carnitas. Throw the leftover cold PP in a pan with a little oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, chili powder (or reconstituted chilies), cumin, and Mexican oregano. Squeeze a lime or two over top and cook until the onions are soft and the liquid has evaporated. Slather on fresh corn or flour tortillas.

Time to pull another butt out of the freezer!

Reactions: chilerelleno
I've never tried the milk. Might have to give that a shot.

I generally use leftover, smoked pulled pork to make my version of carnitas. Throw the leftover cold PP in a pan with a little oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, chili powder (or reconstituted chilies), cumin, and Mexican oregano. Squeeze a lime or two over top and cook until the onions are soft and the liquid has evaporated. Slather on fresh corn or flour tortillas.

Time to pull another butt out of the freezer!
Now that use of PP leftovers is right up my alley!
I make a lot of leftover BBQ into tacos.
Nice recipe, Liked.

These are dead simple to make, but are incredibly delicious!
I cubed up some pork shoulder and cooked in the pot until well browned, then drained and added one jar of Herdez salsa casera and simmered until the meat was tender. Been making these for 20 years and they never disappoint!
When you say "cooked in the pot" were these fried? I assume the answer is "yes," since I think that is how carnitas is normally cooked, but I just wanted to make sure. They sure look good!

When you say "cooked in the pot" were these fried? I assume the answer is "yes," since I think that is how carnitas is normally cooked, but I just wanted to make sure. They sure look good!

Yes, I used a large stew pot with canola oil to fry them until well browned, then drained all the remaining oil before adding the Herdez, covering and simmering until tender

I never knew what they were. I always see packages of meat that say "for carnitas". Now I know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky