Which pellet grill for the money?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I guess my only concern is that I have a 40” built in gas grill with infrared searing burner, and plenty of other outside gadgets. I’d like to replace my 40” MES so I can graduate from an electric smoker to a pellet smoker. I think the most we’ve ever made at one time (in almost 10 years of smoking) was 3 ribs, and 2 butts, which will easily fit on the 24. Even then I would still have room for a tray of smoked Mac and cheese.

I am really just using the smoker for well, smoking! I will not be purchasing any extras (sidekick, grill grates or otherwise).

Reactions: smokepuppet
If customer service is important to you, look NO further then Rec Tec..The Rec Tec 590 is my 1st pellet grill. My phone calls to them went great..It is also an excellent looking & built grill/smoker. Haven't done my 1st smoke on it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.:emoji_laughing:

$500.00, is not going to get you much in the way of a good good sized pellet grill.
That's not true, with the holiday coming up and a lot of stores being closed because of this Covid 19 crap there will be some screaming deals to be had. I got a good size Camp Chef a few years ago from Dick's for under $300 ( It was on close out) and I can smoke 6 racks of ribs or 2 brisket on it if I use the shelf, which is more than enough for my family.

Personally I'm not very big fan of pellet pooper's I've had food off of at least 4 different brand pooper's and could barely smell of taste smoke on the food they produced. I still use my pooper when I'm being lazy, there is something to be said for their ease or use, at least for me there is. I have a horribly bad back being held together with rods, pins and screws, so getting up and down on long smokes is a thing of the past for me.
So I'd be seriously looking at building a UDS or buying that M.B. Gravity but charcoal sure isn't easy to come by right now around here and when you do find it, it's not cheap at all.

I hope the O.P. enjoys his Camp Chef, I will say that mine has been perfect for at least 2 maybe 3 yrs as far as operation it's been awesome, I just like heavier smoke I guess coming from a reverse flow offset smoker.

I highly recommend that the O.P. should buy a 10-12'' Amaz'in Smoke Tube and some Hickory dust to kick up the smoke flavor, without a smoke tube I would've ditched this thing yrs ago.

Best of luck too you.
Dan

If customer service is important to you, look NO further then Rec Tec..The Rec Tec 590 is my 1st pellet grill. My phone calls to them went great..It is also an excellent looking & built grill/smoker. Haven't done my 1st smoke on it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.:emoji_laughing:
Going from the smoker in your avatar to a pellet pooper is going to be challenging if you're anything like me.
I love the taste of the food that my reverse flow offset kicked out, but my back can't handle getting up and down to feed the damn thing, so I gifted it to a buddy. I sure miss the sticky black Texas briskets that thing use to kick out but it's was just too much for me and wood was hard to come by around here in the republic of kalifornistan other wise known as Mexifornia.
1588339309460.png
1588339492851.png

Nobody has mentioned the Grilla Chimp yet. The Chimp is the same size as the RecTec people are recommending, but it's in your price range at $529. Grilla has amazing customer service, but everyone says that about their company. The Chimp does have an upper rack that most grills in that size range don't have, though it's only big enough for 1 rack of ribs, but that lets the grill hold 3 racks instead of 2 like the other tailgate sized grills.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of my Grilla over my old Traeger, though I don't have the Chimp. There's a Facebook group "My Grilla Grill Smoker" that people are always posting cooks, and recipes in. When someone has a problem, the owner chimes in to help them and they don't get banned, so that's pretty cool. If you're looking at a small sized, top tier grill then give the Chimp a look too. If you need a bigger grill and can't flex the budget then you'll give up some quality, but you can probably still find a decent grill. Don't forget to consider the used market.

The App store reviews of RecTec wifi are one of the things that drove me to look elsewhere lol. I didn't want to pay more for something and then have it not work for me.

That said, I've rarely ever seen someone with either grill that wished they'd bought the other instead. Do your research up front, buy what you like then just cook on the darn thing.

I looked at the Grilla, couldn't buy something from that state up north!!! haha.

Seriously, I went Rec Tec for the WiFi and at the time they could not ship because their government considered them not essential.

could not be happier with the Rec Tec

You went the right way. Welcome aboard from a fellow Rec Tec owner.

You might not see anyone with either grill that wished they'd bought the other instead.

But I can show you someone who is glad that they didn't buy the other. :emoji_blush:

Reactions: Buckeye1
The Wi-Fi works to e if you know-how to work a wireless router, which I dont. Haha. So I called the router OEM , and had them get it to link up properly and it works like a champ.

On the Rec Tec, if you buy the grates, does it do a good job searing a steak? I seen pit boss has direct flame broiled searing.

The right tool for the job. And this from the owner of a Rec Tec RT590.

Pellet grills are going to leave a lot to be desired if you are trying to sear steaks with them.

They simply are not the right tool the the job when it comes to searing a steak.

Pellet grills are great for grilling and smoking. For searing, not so much.

The best way to sear a steak at home, is with one of these. 1600°F
jiBzcNB.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_6775.jpg
O

Or barring that, then one of these. A Kamado 1030-1100°F and cast iron.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_4674 6.JPG
IMG_5744 3.JPG

IMG_2372.jpg

And if neither of those, if they are too expensive or unattainable, well then one of these filled with lump charcoal and put into a kettle type grill. Truthfully, I'd buy one of these for much cheaper than one can buy "searing grates" for a pellet grill. And I'd end up with a better seared steak.

IMG_3120 2.jpg
IMG_7603.jpg
IMG_6797.jpg

And with a cast iron skillet placed over the top of it. Dirt cheap.

IMG_5802 2.JPG

Otherwise, if you're trying to "sear" a steak on a pellet grill which is capable of "maybe" reaching temps around 500° F, well then IMO, you're just wasting time and fooling yourself.. Even with their "sear grates".
IMG_2365.jpg

Last edited:
The sear grates work, but it takes a long time from 225° when you pull steaks off at approximately 125° for it to reach the 500° again for searing.

With the right amount of research one can find a pellet grill that can sear a steak quite adequately. Now if you have to adjust some innards to allow direct heat that becomes a bit cumbersome IMO when wanting to reverse sear. While my MAK can easily surpass 600ºƒ and does a real nice job of searing, I don't use it much for that. It is way easier to set the MAK for smoking and take the meat over to the gas grill to finish the process.

With the right amount of research one can find a pellet grill that can sear a steak quite adequately. Now if you have to adjust some innards to allow direct heat that becomes a bit cumbersome IMO when wanting to reverse sear. While my MAK can easily surpass 600ºƒ and does a real nice job of searing, I don't use it much for that. It is way easier to set the MAK for smoking and take the meat over to the gas grill to finish the process.

I agree.

The right tool for the job.

One can remove bolts with a pair of pliers. Drive nails with a brick or a large rock. Turn screws with a knife.

But why, when the proper socket, wrench, hammer, nail gun or screwdriver, are all available in this day and age?

These steaks were done on my Otto Wilde. Using a MAK or any other pellet grill, or even one's home oven, to get this kind of sear on these steaks would be like using a brick or a large stone to drive a 16D nail.

Can it be done? Sure. Absolutely. Eventually. Some time today. You could frame an entire house using a stone , or a brick, to drive your nails. And it would be just as well built as the house that was framed using the nail gun.

It can be done........

But why????

The right tool for the job.
IMG_0127.jpg

Last edited:
Sold my Masterbuilt smoker and going to pull the trigger on a pellet grill. Staying around a 500.00 budget. So many brands and types of pellet grills its getting confusing.
Been looking at Traeger, Camp Chef, Pitboss Grills on line.

Welcome all or any comments as to quality, features and favorites and why would be appreciated.

Thanks for everyones input! I ordered the Camp Chef Pro DLX last night. Of all places I found the best price at Target online. Getting excited!!
Our costco is closing out the Louisiana Grills upright pellet smoker for $449(Sacramento, Ca) If I was in the maket for another grill/smoker, I would consider it. Specailly since Costoc has a good return/satisfaction policy.

Reactions: Steff3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky