When to inject pork butt (pics added)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DCOOZ

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 25, 2019
smoking a 8lb butt tomorrow for some pulled pork sandwiches for the NBA finals. Going rub it down tonight and want to inject with apple juice,apple cider vinegar and a rub. So question is do I inject the night before or the day of?

Reactions: JC in GB
I would inject at least four hours before cook, but overnight would be better. Not sure how much vinegar you plan on using, but I would start with at least 3 to 1 juice to vinegar, maybe more so as not to have your meat taste too sour.

Let us know how it turns out!

A couple things I've learned from experience. First, there is no need to inject a pre-injected butt. If the butt is packaged by Hormel or Smithfield, it is pre-injected. You can tell by the label where it will mention a 12% solution of ingredients used for preparation.

Second, back when I used to inject, I found that when I injected the night before and put the roast in the refrigerator, all the injection was in the pan in the morning. My thought is the muscle contracts in the cold, squeezing the injection back out of the meat.

That said, the injection does need time to migrate into the protein cells. If I was to pick up a natural pork butt, I'd inject about an hour before I stuck it in the smoker if left on the countertop, two hours if put in a cooler.

And be careful with the vinegar. It can result in mushy meat if too much is used.

It's a natural but so hasn't been injected as of yet (had no idea they came pre-injected) so thanks for the heads up on that. Also, should I just stay away from the vinegar all together and just use apple juice and rub the injection?

Pretty much what Oldsmoker dude said. Id roll with just the apple juice and inject an hour or two before the cook. Cant go wrong. Post some pics let us know how it turned out!

+1 on injecting just before putting it in. I like to use concentrated frozen apple juice (thawed, of course) with 1/4 can vinegar, a little salt and a squirt of mustard. More apple flavor, and, since it’s hygroscopic, I think it keeps the moisture in better.
Always use fresh (non-supplemented) butts though. It’s really hard to make a supplemented one taste like anything other than Sunday pork roast.

Reactions: DCOOZ
I agree with what's been said about the vinegar, go real easy on it.

Remember, anything but salt and some water aren't going to be readily absorbed by the meat, they will stay pretty local to the injection sites.

When using an injectable primarily for brining give it 4 hours or longer.

For primarily seasoning an hour or two is fine, or immediately.

Sodium phosphate can go immediately.

For tenderizers, 2-4 hours should be good.
E.g. natural enzyme based such as commercial powders dissolved in water and/or juices such as pineapple.
Careful with the tenderizers as they can make the meat mushy.

Reactions: JC in GB and DCOOZ
I was primarily injected to get the flavor of the rub throughout the butt. Is that wishful thinking? Using Weber original dry rub on the outside and was going inject with Cabela's maple jalepon rub with Apple juice.

I inject seasonings every inch or so, both horizontally and vertically to get a really good distribution.
When you slice or pull you'll find pockets or seams of seasonings.

For brining and seasoning, whether dry rubbing or injecting I'll often do it the night before and wrap it well with plastic wrap.
Hold it in and around, works good for me.

Also, be aware that injected Butts and stuff can take MUCH longer to cook.
A lot of evaporative cooling induces prolonged stalls.
Turn up the heat and/or wrap to hurry things along.

Reactions: JC in GB and DCOOZ
Thanks for the advice. I'll run the smoker at 275. Going throw it on the smoker around 830 AM. Will dry rub tonight wrap and put in fridge. Will inject the butt around 7am tomorrow morning.

I hardly ever(once I think) inject pork butt. If you want to add some extra flavor - then why not just add some of your rub or injection into the already pulled pork(that is if you think it really needs the additional seasoning). Just tossing something out there for you to chew on.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw and DCOOZ
I hardly ever(once I think) inject pork butt. If you want to add some extra flavor - then why not just add some of your rub or injection into the already pulled pork(that is if you think it really needs the additional seasoning). Just tossing something out there for you to chew on.

Chris

That's what I do. The few times I injected it increased the cook time substantially and didn't really add anything that I could add once the meat was shredded.

So follow up question. What would be the benefit of injecting?

Lots of good ideas. In my mind salt needs time to move so I do overnight but honestly it's just that I hate doing anything before getting the smoker setup.

+1 on injecting just before putting it in. I like to use concentrated frozen apple juice (thawed, of course) with 1/4 can vinegar, a little salt and a squirt of mustard. More apple flavor, and, since it’s hygroscopic, I think it keeps the moisture in better.

I dig your style. ACV or white? A friend on mine makes hard cider and his trick is to backsweeten with frozen to amp the apple flavor. Seems like I asked you but you try phosphate? Found a bottle of liquid lecithin at the health food store.

I never injected a Butt, and never ran into one that needed it.
All I do is add my juice mixture to the Pan when I foil it at about 165°, then save the drippings, defat them & add the Liquid Gold back to the Pulled Pork.

Bear

Reactions: hardcookin
I Inject shortly before it goes on the smoker with plain apple juice, then I wrap the butt in butcher paper when it hits 165*. Then when I pull it off any dripping still in the paper I pour back into the butt when I shred it. Haven't had a complaint yet!

73A59668-A792-401D-8627-DD85139F03DD.jpeg
0A7DD743-C859-4737-9E6B-5F5C6C6ADFAD.jpeg
2D7864C7-8A51-432C-83DF-3C9A00F3151E.jpeg
805975F2-BC5D-4608-8899-74BDB381FD2C.jpeg
CC941115-0332-41C3-9638-4FEF8C895B0A.jpeg

Reactions: Sparky9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky