What's the best way to cut a tank?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did my cut on my previous tank by laying the tank on a level surface. Then I made a jig out of 4x4 cut to correct length and mounted a pen on it.

Then just ran it around the dome end keeping the plywood at the ground at all times. It came out pretty straight.

I didn't trust my plasma freehanding skills, so I welded a piece of steel bar on the line and bended it to form a guide for my plasma. That wasn't so easy, but the cut came out okay anyway.

If your tank has no fittings, you could also turn a furniture dolly upside down and place the tank on the dolly wheels with the tank against a wall. Use a fixture to mount a Sharpie and rotate the tank on the dolly wheels, it will give you a reference with respect to one end that is against the wall and the lines will be parallel. It does not have to be perfect, just close enough to weld up the gaps. The arcs you will marking will be less than 180 degrees.
It has bunch of fittings. But good idea anyway 
biggrin.gif

That sandpaper tip is awesome, I think I'll use that.

I cut it yesterday, used a roll of sandpaper as a wrap-around. I'm not sure how accurate it was, looked pretty good though. I didn't have the means or time to check it, since it was not on a level floor.

I also used a magnet strip as a guide for the plasma, it was too short so I had to move it along the line. It worked pretty well, got a little pliable at times but held up in the end. I think I'll use that for the door, makes a nice clean straight cut!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky