What the best over the counter BBQ sauce you ever ate ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use Wickers. Its a thin vinegar based one....and its a sauce or marinade. Use it when I foil and that is it. IMHO.....sauce on good que is like putting ketchup on a good steak. :biggrin:

When I don't make my own, I use Stubbs or Sweet Baby Rays, but I cut them with Black Coffee. 

I like Coffee added to marinades and BBQ sauces.  Glazes get the same treatment.

I nearly always have a pot on, so Coffee gets added to some recipes and almost all BBQ sauces.

I like Sticky Fingers Habanero Hot.  Recently, I've seen Red Brothers BBQ at some Maryland competitions and festivals, and their Habanero Heat sauce is incredible.  Did I mention I like heat?  My team, "Swillin N Grillin BBQ" makes "Smokin' Hot Mama Sauce" and our "Hot Shot Rub" with a little extra kick.  We tone it down for competition, but at home, we like it HOT.

I would go with Sweet Baby Rays for sauces I normally see in the grocery store.

I bought some other sauce called Pig Feathers from a touristy shop when I was on the Oregon coast that I liked very well.  It is from a local joint there, I did not get a chance to go to the restaurant though.

Funny how popular Stubbs is along with sweet Rays, opposite styles but soo good. Stubbs has an awesome Wicked Wing sauce that  cant be matched yet. Marinate overnite  and smoke for an hour with apple  or  pecan and you will see. A perfect heat that does not last long with a  tangy pepper bite. Stubbs is da Man!

Update: I found some Bone Sucking sauce and let me tell you that stuff is gooooood. I have been mising out on that sweet and hot stuff there. I  gave a quick taste  with a finger dip and  a few minutes later   I was still at it. like candy. I am going to write down some of these  sauces  mentioned here and look em up on Amazon or a specialty site and start trying  some new stuff.  Thanks for the posts all.

Last edited:
I like Head Country, also Rib Crib ,Blues Hog ,etc....for a fruit based one I like Smokin' Blues by 3 guys smokin' team here in tulsa. just picked up 2 bottles today !  
thumb1%20copy.gif

Last edited:
There is a butcher shop near me that sells at least 500 different kinds of bbq sauce. I'd go broke trying them all.

But he doesn't carry the one I'm always looking for: That is Beaver brand Hawaiian BBQ Sauce, made in Beaverton, OR. This has a nice pineapple kick to it, and it is amazingly good on grilled salmon. But it is tough to find.

Otherwise, I also enjoy another OTC brand put out by a local "here again/gone again" BBQ joint, called Armadillo BBQ.

Last edited:
Pat's Ho-made BBQ suace for me... It's a local thing.. made right down the street from me...about 3 miles

Hey Keith, I've seen that sauce in Publix for a long time but never tried it. Always laughed at the name and wondered if the person making it had a 2nd source of income :o) Anyway, is it a mustard, vinegar or tomato (sweeter) based sauce? Might have to pick up a bottle.

Last edited:
Here are my commercial picks. Mostly I make my own but these are all good and different!

Big Butz Cranberry on ABT's 

Big Butz HOT on just about anything I want sauce on.

Bone Sucking (HOT) Sauce.

Pork Barrel BBQ to finish ribs with (if i add anything to them).

Pat's Ho-made BBQ suace for me... It's a local thing.. made right down the street from me...about 3 miles

Hey Keith, I've seen that sauce in Publix for a long time but never tried it. Always laughed at the name and wondered if the person making it had a 2nd source of income :o) Anyway, is it a mustard, vinegar or tomato (sweeter) based sauce? Might have to pick up a bottle.

No.. It's not a sweet sauce... It does have a little bit of a tang to it.... Here's the link to the website.... Pat's is at the bottom of the page and it list the ingredients... I used it on the Southwestern Style beer can chicken I made at the gathering for a competition and got a second place with it... Go ahead and give it a try... it's cheap enough

http://www.palmettocanning.com/flavors.html

Last edited:
No.. It's not a sweet sauce... It does have a little bit of a tang to it.... Here's the link to the website.... Pat's is at the bottom of the page and it list the ingredients... I used it on the Southwestern Style beer can chicken I made at the gathering for a competition and got a second place with it... Go ahead and give it a try... it's cheap enough
No link. Sounds like the Open Pit sauce. I missed the Chicken comp. Won't next year though.

Last edited:
No link. Sounds like the Open Pit sauce. I missed the Chicken comp. Won't next year though.

OOPPPPS... I put it in there now... sorry

No.. I didn't use the sauce at the gathering... I used it at a different comp....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky