What size grinding plate for sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I just made 3 pounds of sweet pork sausage. The test patty tasted great. But, the texture was a bit grainy, not sure if that is the best way to describe it. It's like I should have ground it finer. I used a 1/4" plate. Perhaps smaller will have a better result?

Depending on what kind of sausage I'm making I prefer to use the biggest plate for the initial grind, then mix in all the spices & cure (if needed) & either use the med plate for Italian Sausage, breakfast sausage, etc. But for bologna, or hot dogs I use the smallest plate for the final grind. To me it's just as good as emulsifying it in a food processor, which is a real PIA.
Al

I'm making sweet Italian sausage. I just reground with a smaller plate 1/8" I believe. And made a test patty. Much better.

This might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. My grinding plates weren't marked size wise. Should I just use the largest plate for the first grind and then next one down for second grind? First attempt making italian sausage. Hot and mild. Using pretubed casings to get my feet wet working with hog casings. TIA for any suggestions

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky