What do I have here ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
My brother, who does not smoke/grill meats, subscribes to Butcherbox. While he was away on a trip, he unexpectedly got a box delivered and not being where he could deal with it, he gave it to me.

Packaging says its a grass fed beef shoulder roast. Everything in the box was grass fed and I've grilled some strip and ribeye and honestly, it sucked. Without the fat, it had no flavor. I've had to heavily season it.

And this thing, IDK what to do with it ? I'm planning on a reverse sear, maybe like I would do with tri tip. But maybe I need to forget the smoker and put it in a crock pot as a pot roast.

20230910_112632.jpg
20230910_112646.jpg
20230910_112651.jpg

I'd smoke for pulled beef like SE mentions, or smoke to rare/ med.-rare and slice for roast beef sammiches. Either would be delicious. I'd cut the package open and inspect the cut first, If it has a large tendon in it somewhere, I'd opt for pulled and cook long and slow.

I bought 4x 1lb grass fed beef Hamburger meat before when it was on sale. I cooked 1lb and it was nasty! I have the other frozen lbs to my neighbor. Never again.

The grass fed all really depends on how the animal lived and maybe the grass it was feeding on. We used to pull our cows off of Colorado high country grass and take the steers straight to process, they were incredibly good. Also I’ve several different grass fed cuts from certified Piedmontese and they were equally delicious. All comes down to the source. I’ve eaten some pretty awful grain finished beef as well, and some that is excellent.

Reactions: jcam222
A 2# package of beef labeled 'shoulder' can be deceiving since a 1200# steer might have 80#'s of useable shoulder meat.
3BuiabN.jpg

And, depending on your age, grain finished beef was possibly what you grew up with. In my case, my family raised Herford cattle not Angus. And finishing was 3 or 4 months at a feed lot. I've been chewing on grain finished beef since I was a little boy and I still like it.
XNfzyP1.jpg

So, once you get used to a particular flavor, you are kind of locked in.

Reactions: indaswamp
Grass fed is fine if it’s finished with corn/grain. All grass fed beef is nasty and I wish California, CO,OR, WA and central Texas would just worry about themselves and leave the rest of us hicks out of it. Unfortunately alot of people live in said states. They have a lot of $$ and power to decide what is fair, acceptable, and delicious to us minions

Last edited:
Reactions: PPG1 and bigfurmn
Yellow fat= nasty And grass finished. White beef fat= delicious. Unfortunately only way to get white fat in beef for the masses is grain/corn fed which means feedlots and big brother doesn’t like that

Reactions: PPG1 and bigfurmn
I'd smoke it for Sammie's.

Warren

I think that's where I'm headed. Smoke it and slice it.

Mrs Okie can't stand this grass fed beef. She gripes to high heaven about it. But she would vote for making a pot roast with it, along with the typical potatoes and carrots. But right now, I'm paying for my sins of enjoying life too much with good food and beer, and I'm keto dieting to lose some pounds.

So potatoes and carrots are not an option. Too many carbs.

I am with SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , shred that up and make some hot beef sammies.

I did that last night with a rump roast I had in the freezer. Superb! Didn't have time for a long smoke so just did a pressure cooker dump. :emoji_shrug: :emoji_laughing::emoji_yum:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky