What could be wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

itali2275

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Toronto Canada
Hi Guys,

I tried some baby back ribs yesterday, they cam out tender but there was  the top part of the rack that had thick meat that come out a bit Dry? Any Idea why?

I did the 2-2-1 method at 225.

Thanks for any feedback.

Could you give us a little more info:
  • prep and type of rub on ribs?
  • what type of smoker?
  • are you using the stock thermometer on the smoker or a calibrated thermometer?
  • where you opening the smoker a lot (basting, peeking, ect.)
  • did you put anything in the foil with the ribs?
  • pictures?

Hi

OK,
  • Rub I used Jeff Phillips rub. I coted the met with Mustard and then the rub overnight.
  • I used the MES30.
  • I did not follow the one that came with ther unit, I bought a Maverick digital one.
  • Never opened the smokr till I had to foil them with  appel juice and cyder. and then basted 2 times on the last hour.
  • Sorry I forgot the pics.
Do you think I could have left them in foil for longer?

could I cut the last hour of the 2-2-1 to half hour?

Thanks

When you foil with your liquids, put the Ribs in the foil Meat side down so the juices are in contact with the meat. That should help keep it moist. You can cut the last hour to 30 minutes and add 30 mins to the Foiling time but the Ribs may Fall off the bone from the greater connective tissue break down. I that is ok go for it I like a little more Bite off the Bone...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky