Well, pulled the trigger on the Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those temperature swings are well within normal and nothing to worry about.

Reactions: devi0124
So today finally had some time to run the LUX through the 30 minute 300 degree run. At about 24 minutes into the 30 minute run I stopped by the grill to see how it was doing and noticed the temp was swinging from 284 to 305. Not sure if this type of temp swing is normal or not? I sent a request into Camp Chef to see what they had to say about the temp swings and replacement of the 4 bolts and locknuts.
As stated, those swings are normal as mine does about the same. When im up past 275 my swings are typically even tighter. When it is low in teh 200-225 is when I see the +/-20 change but food still cooks perfectly so far.

WooHoo! I got my WoodWind. Took one week to ship from Utah to Illinois.
My Wife called me at work and said the shipping company stated they were to arrive approx at 1100 hrs. Needless to say, I left early, (Family Emergency), Heh what the heck, I'm old and they just want to be kind...;)

Anyhow as I pulled in to my road, the fire dept was there, the Semi truck with my goodies, and the local police were blocking the road.

I thought Holy "Sheep Dookie". It turns out with the wet weather, ice storm and typical Illinois Maintenance, the driver hit a power line in front of my house and had it caught between his air spoiler and the trailer. ( I drove truck, many Moons ago, when I was in doubt, get out and look!). Anyways.
After the fire truck left, the police car moved over, I was able to get close to the house. My stuff was on a pallet shrink wrap with the cover, jerky racks, front shelf, and a grooved stainless steel spatula. I registered for the Camp Chief account and had the Woodwind in my cart. They sent me an email a few days later, stating they would throw in a recipe book or the spatula.

By the way, the driver was cool and even helped me carry it up the steps to my deck.

Long story longer. I now have three cooks after the initial, burn the crap off at 300 degrees.

I think I will put the cooks in the proper threads, I think:rolleyes:.

First, smoke= Bacon wrapped double Brats. (Bacon helps to season the smoker)
Second, Store bought, take and bake pizza.
Third, Tripel Smoked leftover ham (to add to my baked beans for fourth smoke)
Forth, 3-2-1 Spare Ribs, baked beans, ten bratwurst and ten hot dogs.
Everything came out Great!
Okay, I Know this is a long arse post, but take a break, have a beer or the beverage of your choice, because I have a few concerns I would like to address.

# 1, When I do the startup, the smoker goes crazy with smoke, and there is smoke coming out of the bottom at the ash dump tray.
It stops when the startup sequence is done. (Is this normal?) yes, I had the lever shut.

#2, There is a 1/4" gap around the lid on both sides. (Thinking I should write Camp Chief with my concerns, but I wanted other owners to chime in before I get a (maybe Canned Response) from them.
20180305_120645.jpg

I will say, this is the most carefree smoker ever owned. I have use Stick Burners, Masterbuilt propane/charcoal vertical smoker and WSM, OH, I almost forgot, my homemade UDS. Almost feel guilty not having to babysit my smoker, but then again I am thinking smarter and not harder.

I would appreciate your input and I apologize to the OP if I took his thread in a different direction. (Admins please move me if need to)

Thanks for all your help,
PaPaGrizz

Congrats Pappagrizz. #1 is normal. #2 is normal, however i chose to gasket my lid. Read back a few replies regarding that if you haven't yet.
Enjoy the new toy

As stated, those swings are normal as mine does about the same. When im up past 275 my swings are typically even tighter. When it is low in teh 200-225 is when I see the +/-20 change but food still cooks perfectly so far.
Thanks for the reply. This agrees with Camp Chef who stated design for plus or minus 20 degrees. I'm still asking the question to them about the 3/16" gap on the lower left side of the grill. I hate to add the gasket material but physics will allow the exchange of air with even a slight breeze that could also contribute to the swing. I was surprised on how fast the temp dropped - like 1 degree every 3-5 seconds. Our first cook was reversed sear steak. Yum!! Nice smoke flavor.

Congrats Pappagrizz. #1 is normal. #2 is normal, however i chose to gasket my lid. Read back a few replies regarding that if you haven't yet.
Enjoy the new toy

Hey Mark, Thanks for the reply.
How many cooks have you done since the gasket mod, and how is it working with the temps, smoke output on the food and pellet usage?
I probably should send an email to Camp Chief to see if the gaps are there by design. I will attach the pic and report back with their rely.
Thanks again,
PaPaGrizz

Hey Mark, Thanks for the reply.
How many cooks have you done since the gasket mod, and how is it working with the temps, smoke output on the food and pellet usage?
I probably should send an email to Camp Chief to see if the gaps are there by design. I will attach the pic and report back with their rely.
Thanks again,
PaPaGrizz
Dozens of smokes. It still leaks some smoke but not nearly as much. I get great TBS out my chimney and since installing the Fireblack i feel i have better temps and better smoke flavor. It has woked great for me so far. It was designed by CC with the lid gap and they will tel you the same. They will advise you don't gasket your lid. Choice is yours. From one smoker to another, its not going to harm it unless pehaps it was 100% air tight, and even at that I'd be skeptical.

In my warranty question to CC asked about the gap on the lid and suggestion to add a gasket. Here is their reply. "The gap around the lid is normal & was designed that way, so that there is better air flow, creating the perfect cooking environment. The grill needs places for the air to flow, or it will not cook properly. Also, we do not recommend sealing the lid off completely, because it will not allow the smoke and air to flow evenly throughout the grill.
If you feels that there is more smoke than there should be, then you can open the chimney up a little more, for better air flow, and see if that helps."

Just ordered the WoodWind with the sear box. I did about six months of research almost to the point of OCD and based my decision on reviews and discussions about various pellet grills. I have a Oklahoma Joe Highland stick burner and I love it but I don't really like to baby sit long smokes so that is why the pellet grill. I am looking forward to this new medium and hope it works well.

Just ordered the WoodWind with the sear box. I did about six months of research almost to the point of OCD and based my decision on reviews and discussions about various pellet grills. I have a Oklahoma Joe Highland stick burner and I love it but I don't really like to baby sit long smokes so that is why the pellet grill. I am looking forward to this new medium and hope it works well.
If the Woodwind is anything like the LUX with optional Sear Box added, you'll love it. Turn it on, keep the pellet box full enough and forget it. I feel left out at times for not having to babysit the temperature control.

Ha, I did the same thing...drove my wife nuts to the point where she finally said "just order the damn thing!"

How many pellet grill owners but an AMNPS or tube to increase smoke flavor I wonder?
I hear many people say the food doesn't taste as smokey as they like.
Hope you enjoy yours and its trouble free.

I use a tube almost every smoke unless it with pure hickory and I want a milder flavor, or I'm smoking ground meat, as that really lets the smoke come through.

This was copied right out of my owners manual for the PG24SE. Since I've sealed my lid, I see about 12 degrees both ways at the most, and less at higher temps also.

HIGH SMOKE - This setting is used for smoking foods at an average temperature of 220F. This setting will produce large amounts of smoke. 175F TO 400F - There are 25F increment settings from 175F to 400F. You can simply select any temperature you want and the grill will control the temperature within 15F of the selected temperature.

I've had mine for a year and have had no problems at all with it. If you seal yours and regret it, just stick a thin magnet or two to the grill front to gap it up, and store it on the side when you don't need to. I've had no problems with mine sealed at all, and I'm quite happy with it's performance.

In my warranty question to CC asked about the gap on the lid and suggestion to add a gasket. Here is their reply. "The gap around the lid is normal & was designed that way, so that there is better air flow, creating the perfect cooking environment. The grill needs places for the air to flow, or it will not cook properly. Also, we do not recommend sealing the lid off completely, because it will not allow the smoke and air to flow evenly throughout the grill.
If you feels that there is more smoke than there should be, then you can open the chimney up a little more, for better air flow, and see if that helps."

I reckon with that said I will leave it alone for a while and try different foods to smoke. All in all, I am happy with the smokes I have done so far.
Thanks for the info,
PaPaGrizz

Only had mine a week with three smokes on it. I too feel a tiny bit guilty not having to babysit this, but with the rib cook for the grandkids and family last Sunday, I had more time and fun with them.
PaPaGrizz

PaPaGrizz,

Since you didn't mention it I assume you had no issues with temp swings?

Hey wahoowad,
My swings seemed to be no more than 10 to 15 degrees. I also had my Maverick hooked up and put the probe on a holder and attached it to the center of the grate towards the back. The Maverick read about 3 degrees higher than the readout on the WoodWind. Happy? :) Yes, I am!
When I cooked the Brats, I used the probe for the woodwind on the left side of the smoker and a probe for the maverick on the right side. Both of those Brats were toward the front of the grill. Again much to amazement both read the same Temperature!
animated-smileys-surprised-007.gif

Take care,
PaPaGrizz

Doing my first long smoke on a 9# Picnic today. There is no doubt we all are cheating in one way or another by not having to babysit the smoker temperature control. This is just far too easy. So...since cheating is acceptable, I'm also using a remote dual probe temperature monitor for smoke and meat temperature. Nice for not running outside in 35 degree temps to check on meat and smoke temperatures. ;)

Machines make life easier, simple fact. I have my eye on the six port fireboard but I'm trying find a decent slicer first. I am curious as to the newer owners opinions of smole profile especially those who have or had stick burners. My CC was my first smoker.

Just got my Smokepro XT up and running this morning (received it via Fed-Ex on Tuesday but wasn't able to assemble until last night). Getting ready to hot smoke some salmon for dinner and can already tell 1) that the smoke flavor will be dramatically different than the charcoal flavor I'm accustomed to (as everyone said it would be), and 2) the convenience of it will make me not care that much about the reduced smoke flavor. I mean, flip a switch, turn a knob. It feels like cheating and I'm okay with that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky