Want to reduce Pork Butt cook time - Cut in half?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dbarnett66

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I have two 8 pound butts, Can I cut them in half to reduce time, or will they be too small and dry out?

You should be fine, just go by temps.

I don't think you'll save much time. I've cooked 4.5 pounders and it still took 9 hours to get to 195° on my UDS running in the 250s.

Shouldn't be a problem with dryness though. Safeway here usually only sells 4 or 5 pounders. I think they cut the big ones in have and sell them separately. I've done several and never had a problem with one being dry.

Dave

I don't think you can speed it up that much if you cut it in half. You should just leave it a plan for the time.

I cut one in half once for the purpose of more bark with a side effect of quicker cooking time. Took about 6 hours total plus rest time. It worked for quickness but it wasn't as fall apart as normal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky