Vertical gas smokers. are they any good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roba22

Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Ok first hello everyone!   I'm new to the smoking world so i have a lot to learn.   I have been using a modified old round brinkman vertical style grill/smoker.  I did a lot of the mods I found online to help it out but still I get flame ups and I have to baby sit the charcoal for the whole time.  it gets hot.  then cool.  then hot..  etc..    So to help make my life a little less stressful so I will keep enjoying this new hobby I have been looking at the vertical 2 door gas smokers.    The Char-Broil , the Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D and the smoke hollow.   they all three look about the same in style and are close in price.   I have seen a few mods to the masterbuilt that can make it better but thought I would join this to get some serious feedback.    I want to stay under $200  would like to find something that is easy to control the temp.  (basically so i can sleep while it does it thing)  and I'm not looking to get all competitive.  just a weekender   for fun and family.  

Questions I have is...  because its vertical will the bottom meat get hotter then the top meat? cause it to dry out or char?   will the top meat get more smoke then the bottom meat.    

what are the disadvantages to this style?   not enough smoke flavor?  can't control the temp as well as you think?  cooks to hot or not a low enough temp setting?

Are they sealed up good?   hold in the heat and smoke?    

are they built good?   hold up well?  rust or have to have parts replaced.  

If any of you have used this style please give me some feedback.  or let me know what you would recommend if this style is not good ones to consider.   thank you and glad I found this site..

-Rob 

I have the Masterbuilt 30" 2 door propane smoker.

Here are my comments.

You won't be able to walk away and sleep with this type of unit. You can't leave a propane smoker unattended too much risk of an uncontrolled flame.
At low temps (which you will need a needle valve setup to accomplish) you can get a flame out from a gust of wind at the burner.
The doors will need to be gasketed as there is some leakage around them.
You will also find temp difference from the bottom to the top of the cook chamber. I temp mapped mine to determine that.
I am having good results with mine but I have made mods to mine to improve performance.
I use it every weekend and have had good results at low and high temps.

Just my .02

r2

I have the Masterbuilt XL 40" single door propane smoker. As for mods, I use a cast iron pan on top of the original chip pan and I installed a bayou classic needle valve.

For walking away? At normal smoking temps say 225-275 degrees mine is set and forget. I like to smoke my pork butts overnight so I could sleep through the stall. What I do is start my cook at 5-6pm, that way when I go to sleep around midnight, the butts have a good couple hours of smoke on them. I'll throw a chunk or two in the smoker and set the alarms on my Maverick thermometer and off to bed...I havent had to wake up in the middle of the night yet.

As for low smoking temps while making jerky or snack sticks, I do that during the day because of the flame blowing out. I use a windbreak to help with that, although occasionally I still have a flame blowout due to the location of my smoker and swirling winds that accompany it.

Quality is cheap, stamped sheet metal. I have a small amount of rust around the fire ring but that's to be expected. The smoker is stored in my basement when not in use.

There is a difference in temperature from top to bottom, I havent measured it. I've hung snack sticks from dowels in the smoker and the bottoms were finished first. I now lay them on the grates and rotate them during the cook.

Once you learn you're new smoker, you'll be fine. Hope this helped and enjoy the addiction.

You may want to look at a Camp Chef Smoke Vault.

I've had one for years & smoked hundreds of times on it.

No mods, I use it just like it came out of the box.

Al

I love my Masterbuilt 40XL single door model.
Yes I did install a door gasket and applied high temp silocone around all the bolt holes during assembly.
I added a 10 inch cast iron pan directly on to of the provided chip pan for chips...
And yes you'll notice some temp difference from top to bottom but I believe this is an issue for any cabinet style smoker...as far as ruining or drying out meat...I've never had an issue, I simply rotate the racks once or twice.
It's not quite "set and forget" but I haven't had issues leaving mine relatively unattended for several hours at a time on long smokes once it's dialed in.
For cold smoking a needle valve will be required to reduce the heat to under 170° and a pellet tube or box is a great addition for cold smoking.
It'll take some practice but I love mine and have smoked hundred and hundreds of pounds of food...veggies, fish, bacon, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, jerky...you name it, I've obtained excellent results...

Just an after thought, I do leave my smoker unattended for hours but never for long periods of time, say around 7 to 8 hours.
I would just be uncomfortable leaving it overnight.
I'm just a worrier by nature.
I do use a windbreak around the bottom of the smoker as to not get flame outs during low temp smokes.

r2

Ive use a mastrrbuilt 2 door for a few yrs. I did the needle valve, door seal mods. Tried the cast iron pan trick with little sucess. Biggest issue was having to fill ghe pan frequently.
I ended up doing the mailbox mod and used a pellet smoke generator for several hrs of continuous smoke. Used a waterpan as a heat sink to help keep temps steady.

I Now mainly uses it as a cold smoking cabinet.

Last edited:
I'll add, the XL 40 propane is NOT my everyday smoker anymore...I use my 18" WSM for most weekend smokes...but it was my primary smoker for two years.
I use it now for large parties (just did 75 pounds of butts for memorial day) or cold smoking fish, cheese etc...
I wouldn't let that deter you...
For the price I don't think you can go wrong...and I like the ease portability of propane over charcoal or electric.
I also have the Masterbuilt mini 18" propane I load up and take everywhere with me...camping, fishing, backyard BBQ's...it sounds small but I can do 20 pounds of meat in it...
Briskets are difficult because of length but chicken, ribs, butts or tailgate type stuff no worries, no issues...
Walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky