Vents open or closed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gjfrenchie1

Original poster
Oct 22, 2016

Hey All!

I just got a MasterBuilt Electric smoker and I'm excited to start SMOKING! I'm a retired police officer. I live just north of Cincinnati, Ohio. 

My question: When smoking meats is it best to have the vents closed down with little air flow or opened all the way?

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

Keep the top vent open all the way, you want to keep the smoke moving thru the smoker.

Al

Hey All!

I just got a MasterBuilt Electric smoker and I'm excited to start SMOKING! I'm a retired police officer. I live just north of Cincinnati, Ohio. 

My question: When smoking meats is it best to have the vents closed down with little air flow or opened all the way?
Like already noted above, I keep my MES (Masterbuilt) top vent wide open all the time, except when preheating, done smoking, or storing.

It also sometimes helps when windy to close the top vent about halfway.

Welcome to SMF.  
welcome1.gif

And here's a bunch of "How-To" Step by Steps, all done in MES Units:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky