Venison smoke, bone in or not

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wes w

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 31, 2012
NW North Carolina
 Hope everyone had a great day!

A friend has ask me to smoke a deer hind quarters for him.   I've read alot of good info here, but nothing that address bone.  Do I need to cut it out before smoking?  I plan on doing a bacon weave to help keep it moist.  Any info would be awesome!

Thanks

Wes

Thanks for the reply driedstick.  I was planning on the bacon weave.  I just wasn't sure if I should keep the bone in or not.  I'm really looking forward to smoking it.  We usually can our deer meat.   A good friend gave me half if I smoke the other half for them.

Whats the best rub to put on it?  I'm not big on hot, I like to taste meat when I eat it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

A basic salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder should work. Maybe add some brown sugar for a little bark. You might also want to brine it first.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky