Vacuum Tumbler Bacon Experiment #1 - Final

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Dec 29, 2009
Savage, MN
Since I own a Vacuum Tumbler, I decided to see if I can cut the 7+ day cure time in 1/2, or maybe even make it a 1-2 day cure process.  Commercial processors use large vacuum tumblers to speed up the curing process, so I figured why can't I do the same thing....Right?  Well, it seems that this is a closely guarded secret, and I could find no information for home processing in a Vacuum Tumbler.  A few PM's to Martin and SOB, and a call to a local distributor, and I may just have the basics of the process.

I made a brine, using Country Brown Cure and some extra sugar, salt and spices.  The cure and spices were mixed in with 12 ounces of water.  All 3 pieces were injected to help cure the pieces from the inside out, as well as from the outside in.  After I injected the meat, I realized this mix may create spice pockets in the meat.  I don't think injecting was necessary, but after all, this is an experiment...Right?  We learn from our mistakes....Right?

I started with a 7# pork butt from SAMS Club, deboned and trimmed the fat.  It was then cut into 3 distinct pieces, following the natural separation of the muscles.  Net weight was 5#

The meat was placed in the Vacuum Tumbler for the 1st 30 minute cycle of 4 cycles total

When 2 hours total curing time is completed, I'll rinse and allow to rest in the fridge for 24 hours

Commercial processors claim 2 hours of vacuum tumbling is enough time for the cure to completely penetrate a slab of bacon

SAMS Club Pork Butts

Country Brown Cure, Sugar, Salt and Spices

Cure Mix Added to Water and Injected

Injected Meat in Tumbler with Extra Cure Mix

Vac Sealed In The Tumbler

So, how do you keep the meat cool while it tumbling?

Place the tumbler on the deck in 40° temps!

2 Hours in the Vacuum Tumbler

The brine has turned thick and sticky.  This is most likely from some of the proteins from the meat that have been exchanged with the cure mix

Starting weight of meat before vacuum tumbling = 5 lb. 3oz.

Ending weight of meat after vacuum tumbling = 6 lb. 3 oz.
Meat absorbed 1# of water and spices during 2 hours in the vacuum tumbler

Very little cure mix left in the bottom of the vacuum tumbler container

Starting Cure Mix = 12 oz.

Ending Cure Mix = < 2 oz.

Out of the Tumbler for weighing

Back into the bin and into the fridge to rest overnight

Out of the fridge and thoroughly rinsed
Back into the fridge for 24 hours to rest and for the pellicle

Pulled the BBB from the fridge, after it rested for 24 hours

8:00 and the BBB is in the smoker using an AMNPS and Pitmaster's Choice Pellets

BBB Cured and Pellicle is Formed

Starting Weight of Meat Before Vacuum Tumbling = 5 lb. 3oz.

Ending Weight of Meat After Vacuum Tumbling = 6 lb. 3 oz.
Weighed Before Smoking = 5 lb. 11 oz.

After rinsing and resting for 24 hours in the fridge, the meat to lost 8 oz.

Starting Pitmaster's Choice Pellets

Ambient temp is 41°, So I Turned on the MES 40 to 100° & set to 12 hours

BBB Hangin' and Waitin' for a Smoke Bath

Hangers are actually BBQ Tool Hangers  $.79 On Sale!!

Can you say "TBS"?

Ahhhh The Smoke Bath

Maintained Temps under 100° for 10 hours

Ahhhh Smoke!                                                                               Nice Color after 10 Hours in the Smoker

Starting Weight of Meat Before Vacuum Tumbling = 5 lb. 3oz.

Ending Weight of Meat After Vacuum Tumbling = 6 lb. 3 oz.

Weighed Before Smoking = 5 lb. 11 oz.

Weight After Smoking = 5 lb. 2.5 oz.

Finished Smoking after 10 Hours

Cross Section of Vacuum Tumbler BBB

Test Fry                                                                              Fried and Ready to Taste Test

Left = Vacuum Tumbler Cured BBB

Right = 8 Day Dry Cured BBB

So, after the 1st 30 minutes in the Vacuum Tumbler, about 1/2 the liquid was absorbed into the meat
During the the next 30 minutes the liquid did not seem to be absorbed as quickly
I'm now on my 3rd 30 minute cycle of a 2 hour vacuum cure.
I'll weigh the meat after 2 hours in the vacuum tumbler and this will tell me how much of the cure mixture has been absorbed

The meat weighed in at 6 lb. 3 oz. after curing in the vacuum tumbler for 2 hours total.  The assumption can be made that 1# of cure, water, spices, sugar and salt were absorbed into the meat.  Less than 2 oz. of cure mix was left in the container, after tumbling.

After the cured meat was weighed, it was placed in the fridge overnight to rest.

I took the slabs out of the fridge this morning, rinsed them well with cold water, dried them off, and back into the fridge for 24 hours to rest and form the pellicle.

Tonight, I pulled the BBB and decided to weigh it before smoking  The idea is to get back the the green weight of the meat, before it was cured in the vacuum tumbler.  Surprisingly, the meat lost 8 ounces.  I can only assume some of the residual cure mix was washed off during the rinse, and some moisture evaporated while resting in the fridge for 24 hours.

The BBB was hung in the smoker for a 10 hour smoke.  I usually cold smoke, but because the ambient temp is supposed to drop below freezing tonight, I set my MES to 100°.

Note To Self: Move to warmer climate, in-order to avoid freezing temps!

I removed the BBB from the smoker at 6:00am this morning, after 10 hours of smoking.

The smell and color were FANTASTIC!!

Sliced a few pieces from the middle of one of the slabs.  These pieces were fried and compared to my last batch of BBB that was dry cured for 8 days, and them smoked.  The exact same cure and spices were used.  The only difference in the process was using a vacuum tumbler during the curing process vs. dry curing for 8 days in the fridge.

CONCLUSION:
This is my first attempt at vacuum tumbling BBB, and not my last.  Since the process is new to me, I'll make some changes and attempt it again.  I can't expect perfection on the first try!!

Color:

The color is pink and not as deep red as my 8 day cured BBB.  The color was similar to ham.

Texture:

The texture is more like ham than my previous batches of BBB

Taste:

The taste is also more like ham than my previous batches of BBB.  The intensity of flavors is just not there.  The sugar and spices are almost non existent.

Was the Vacuum Tumbler BBB Experiment a Success?

The answer is both "Yes" and "No"

I believe the curing process was safely fast tracked into 2 days, so I consider this part a success.

The color, texture and flavors were more like ham than bacon, so I consider this part a failure

There is a common theme I've found in a few articles about Vacuum Tumbled Bacon.  The color, texture and flavors are not the same as bacon made with other processes.  It seems commercial processors "Enhance" their Vacuum Tumbled Bacon to attain a better color, texture and flavor.  I'll try to do this without adding any extra chemicals.

Thanks For Lookin'!!

Todd

Last edited:
Reactions: arnie
This is very interesting to me as well - I shall be watching this one closely
biggrin.gif

Great experiment Todd! Keep us posted, Gary wants to see the results!

Last edited:
this is a nice experiment. Cant wait to see the results

I updated my original post.....

So far, my experiment is a success!

The 5# of meat absorbed 1 lb of cure mix = 20% of the green weight

I was shooting for 15%, so not sure if 20% is a good or bad thing.

The complaint from vacuum tumbling bacon is it can cause the meat to be mushy, and some of the flavors can be diluted. Too much water causes the fried bacon to shrink and also form a white foam in the pan.

I'll hang the cured meat in my smoker with heat, for a few hours, in order to dry the slabs back down to their green weight.  This should firm up the meat, and hopefully concentrate the flavors.

Not sure if I'm going to cold smoke or smoke to an internal temp of 145°.  Maybe a combination???

My ultimate goal is to cure bacon in 1-2 days and smoke on the 3rd day. 

With any luck a guy could start the curing process on Friday, and be smoking on Sunday

This is truly an experiment and the results, Good or Bad, will be posted for all to view

Any input or comments, Good or Bad, are welcome, so this process can be safe for all to use

THX!!!

Todd

Todd, morning... interesting about the weight gain..... Think about this.... mix up cure/liquid 10% of the meat weight.... when it's gone, it's cured...  Do you think the cure will get evenly distributed using that method ??? 

Todd, morning... interesting about the weight gain..... Think about this.... mix up cure/liquid 10% of the meat weight.... when it's gone, it's cured...  Do you think the cure will get evenly distributed using that method ??? 
The simple answer is "YES"

Cure and spices are dissolved into the water, and this mix was first injected and then vacuum tumbled.  Once the cure mix has been absorbed, the meat is cured.  Think of the meat in the vacuum tumbler as a sponge.  If you placed the sponge in a bucket of water, it would continue to absorb water until it's capacity is full.  Every cell in the sponge will accept water.  A vacuum Tumbler opens the pores of the meat, in-order for the cells to absorb liquid.  At the same time, meat proteins are released from these cells and collect in the container.  The same exchange of proteins an liquid happens in a brine tank, but a much slower rate.

I think allowing the cured meat to rest overnight is a wise thing, to insure the meat is thoroughly cured.  I maybe a little overcautious, but would rather error on the side of caution.

From the info I am getting, injecting a piece of meat 1 1/2" or less is not necessary.

I used Country Brown Cure, and it will do a fine job.

There are also chemicals like Sodium Erythorbate available to speed up the curing process, but again, a very knowledgeable person said it was not necessary in a vacuum tumbler.

Again, I am no expert, and am relying on the opinions and methods of knowledgeable people in the industry.  I am trying to translate a commercial curing method into a method for home use.

If you have a comment or concern, feel free to post them

THX!

Todd

Last edited:
BBB is out of the fridge, and into the smoker for a 10 hour nap

I'll update in the morning

Todd

1 1/2 hours in, and the smoke looks & smells AWESOME!

Also, one very knowledgeable source suggested using Morton's TQ.  He said TQ contains "Nitrates", and these will help speed up the curing process.

Not sure I'm following this statement, the nitrate needs time to convert to nitrite and do its thing as far as curing goes. Bacon looks damn good Todd how's the texture?

Not sure I'm following this statement, the nitrate needs time to convert to nitrite and do its thing as far as curing goes. Bacon looks damn good Todd how's the texture?
Thanks for your input Dan!

This refers to a previous statement regarding Morton's TQ.  I'm not 100% confident in curing practices, so rather than debate the use of TQ, it's just easier to delete my previous statement.

I'm not professing that I'm and expert in cures or curing.

That said, I'm doing what I can to be educated on the subject.

I wrote down the information from this trusted source, and may have misunderstood the information.  I'll contact the MFG. next week and try to get a written response.

Chemicals like Sodium Erythorbate speed up the curing process, but not necessarily necessary for vacuum tumbling.  Some commercial cures contain sodium erythorbate as an ingredient.  Since the ratio is 7/8 oz. per 100# of meat, it's very tough to measure a correct amount for a 5# batch of bacon.  I chose not to use it.

Finding information on vacuum tumbling bacon is difficult, but not totally impossible.  I contacted my local butcher supply and Butcher & Packer for some additional info.  Some commercial processors smoke immediately after vacuum tumbling.  I was told once the cure is absorbed into the meat, the meat is considered "Cured".  I decided to add 24 hours of "Rest Time" to insure the cure had equalized throughout the meat.

Todd

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky