using Mortons Tenderquick for first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BL98

Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Hello new to the site. I have been curing and smoking bacon with my father n law for a while now. We have always uses morton sugar cure. I have some bacon curing now with Tenderquick. My question is do you cure the same amount of time as with the sugar cure? Also we always rinsed our bacon well before smoking and fried a sample to make sure it isnt too salty do you rinse it before smoking using Tenderquick too?

Check Out Bear's Easy to Follow Step by Step Index Page.
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
All Kinds To Choose From.
Check his bacon recipes.
And welcome to the forum. The search feature is your friend.

When I use tenderquick, I rinse and soak in ice water for a half hour or so.
I have never used Morton sugar cure and am not familiar with it, so I can't answer the curing time question.

im really not sure i've never used the tenderquick, but I would say us the 1/4 inch per day plus 2 days and rinse or soak when done curing, maybe someone that uses tenderquick will chime im

Hello new to the site. I have been curing and smoking bacon with my father n law for a while now. We have always uses morton sugar cure. I have some bacon curing now with Tenderquick. My question is do you cure the same amount of time as with the sugar cure? Also we always rinsed our bacon well before smoking and fried a sample to make sure it isnt too salty do you rinse it before smoking using Tenderquick too?

This one covers all the bases when using TQ:
Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Follow ALL the Steps:
And I never had any too salty when using TQ.

One time I had one too salty when using Hi Mountain Cure & Seasoning.

Bear

If you have used the sugar cure , just treat it the same as you did before for length of curing time . The amounts of nitrate and nitrite or the same in both products . I rinse with Tender Quick but have never had to soak . If you rinsed and soaked before , I would continue to do so .

Edit ,,, Oops , there you go above .

I used tender quick the last 2 bellies I did and cold smoked for 12 hours they turned out amazing. I rinsed and then soaked for I think an hour but I don’t think the soaking was necessary. Great flavor not overly salty.

And I never had any too salty when using TQ.
Me either . Out of the dozens of people that have eaten the bacon , BBB and the Canadien bacon I make with your steps , no one has ever made a comment about to much salt , but they always want more , or ask if I can make them some .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Thanks for all of the feedback sounds like The cure time is the same as well as the rinsing and soaking. I will let yall know how it turns out Im gonna go ahead and cure it for 7 days then smoke it.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky