Using Honey ?"s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlafrenz

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 17, 2012
Missouri
I wanted to inquire about using honey on pork. I typically use butter as a base to help the rub stick and then add brown sugar later to give it the sweet and build bark. I am hoping that honey may be able to do both. The couple of questions I have are, when is the best time to use honey? By this I mean, should I add it to help the rub stick instead of the butter or is it best added over top of the rub like I have been using brown sugar? Will either way have hindrance of rub or smoke getting into the meat?

I think anything is possible, it's all just a matter of taste.  I've never tried honey myself and it would obviously help a rub stick to meat.  Just thinking aloud here, the caramelizing effect would be big and promote crusting of the meat.  The only thing I think about with regard to NOT doing it is the sweetness.  Some people might like a more savory aspect to the end-product.  I do see a situation where you add it first, and stick the rub.  Or do like usual and drizzle the honey (because it's easy to drizzle) over the meat before or during the crusting process.  Like many recipes, trial and error is the only way to know.  I can't see it stopping smoke from flavoring meat anymore than anything else.  Once heat hits it, the honey will thin out or even drip away.  Me thinks.. 

I mix butter and molasses and rub for a glaze. brush it on liberally about 30 min. before done.

Just use mustard or olive oil to make the rub stick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky