Small town Gone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Wow, can't imagine. Thoughts & prayers for all the folks in Greenfield, Iowa. Hopefully a donation platform will be set up soon.

Reactions: 801driver
Seems we hear of such tornadic devastation more these days than we used to. Those tragic images are too familiar, Ryan!

Looks similar to the images and videos from a little town not too far from where I live. On May 5th, one of the strongest tornadoes to hit Oklahoma in the last 10 years ripped apart the small town of Barnsdall, OK.

Oar hearts and prayers go out to all the people of Greenfield!

Red

I'll take our snow and cold weather any-day. That's horrific.

Chris

I'll take our snow and cold weather any-day. That's horrific.

Chris
Man tornados are scary! The snow and ice you at least have a day or so of warning. A damn tornado is there, right now! And it'll take your house and leave your neighbors house perfect. Living in the south I've seen many go by and just prayed that it missed me.
Prayers for the folks in Iowa and everywhere else that has been damaged by these storms!

Jim

Reactions: seenred and gmc2003
Seems we hear of such tornadic devastation more these days than we used to. Those tragic images are too familiar, Ryan!

Looks similar to the images and videos from a little town not too far from where I live. On May 5th, one of the strongest tornadoes to hit Oklahoma in the last 10 years ripped apart the small town of Barnsdall, OK.

Oar hearts and prayers go out to all the people of Greenfield!

Red

In a lot of cases, there's more destruction because there are housing additions that were once empty fields.

And with the advancement in radar, they're identifying tornadoes that 50 years ago, no one would know even occurred. Every little dust up in an open field gets put into the data.

And another thought, there's also an army of storm chasers following all of these supercells and they're all ready to record any touchdown of a funnel. Its a sport for some. Its a business for others who take tourists out to chase.

That did not exist 40 years ago and maybe not even in the 90's, till the movie Twister came out in late 90's.

The people who have been doing this for a long time, say its getting crowded.

There's really no reason today for someone to die from a tornado if they just stay aware of the weather. I would hate to lose everything and have to rebuild, especially at my age, but I'm not concerned about my safety.

In a lot of cases, there's more destruction because there are housing additions that were once empty fields.

And with the advancement in radar, they're identifying tornadoes that 50 years ago, no one would know even occurred. Every little dust up in an open field gets put into the data.

Agreed. Another issue - especially in older communities like Barnsdall, there are so many homes that are 75-100 years old that would not come close to meeting modern building standards...so in a tornado, they go down like matchsticks. And poor rural communities also seem to have a larger percentage of mobile homes - which are deathtraps in a tornado.

And another thought, there's also an army of storm chasers following all of these supercells and they're all ready to record any touchdown of a funnel. Its a sport for some. Its a business for others who take tourists out to chase.

That did not exist 40 years ago and maybe not even in the 90's, till the movie Twister came out in late 90's.

The people who have been doing this for a long time, say its getting crowded.

There's really no reason today for someone to die from a tornado if they just stay aware of the weather. I would hate to lose everything and have to rebuild, especially at my age, but I'm not concerned about my safety.

Agree with this too. Our local TV weather station has an entire army of storm chasers - and they've certainly been getting lots of work this spring.

Red

The TV weather chasers are a small part. I follow this account on X . He has 15,000 followers and many of them are chasing. One of our TV weather people is complaining about how many are following the storms, so many, that they clog up all the cell phone capacity, however that is measured.

https://x.com/OKTornadoDB

We get people from all over the world flying into OKC to take tornado chase tours.

Its a cottage industry. And nothing gets by them, if a funnel just nears the ground and causes some dust, then the world knows about it.

Compare to 50 years ago about this time of year. I'm helping a friend move home from college in Edmond. We're driving on Route 66 out by Luther and I look over into plowed field and see some dust that looks like a whirlwind. I found out later there was a tornado in that area at that time and that was what I saw. We were just going about the normal things we do, there was no hype. Nobody else on Rt 66 but us. The whole world didn't shut down.

Some thoughts and prayers needed.

Just read this article, knew we had some bad weather but this is unimaginable.

Ryan
I was raised in Indiana and taken shelter before, but never one of those big fat squatters. The Palm Sunday outbreak back in the 70's was my last. God Bless those poor folks.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Some thoughts and prayers needed.

Just read this article, knew we had some bad weather but this is unimaginable.

Ryan
The same thing happened in Minden, IA last month. It took out about 1/3rd of that smaller town and damage to over 1/2 of it. My niece's home was one home away from being flattened.

• Sad
Reactions: Brokenhandle
National Weather Service says the Greenfield tornado was an EF3. And currently, there's 4 deaths. Thats sad because those deaths can be avoided.

The Barnsdall tornado here in Oklahoma, was rated EF4 and residents had 44 minute warning that a tornado warned storm was headed their way. The one death was a man in his 80's. His son called him, told him to leave his double wide mobile home, but he said something to the effect of leaving it up to God.

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky