Used charcoal for the second time in my life last night!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nicka

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Ohio
I had one bad experience 2 years ago with charcoal (my own fault) I recently purchased an off-set smoker/grill and made some ribeyes last night. I have heard that I should be cooking them with indirect heat, however they were not getting done do I put them directly over the coals. They turned out amazing though!  Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
A couple of tidbits on using charcoal, stay away from the match lite crap and if it's available, try some lump charcoal as well. 

As far as the ribeyes, direct heat for sure unless you are doing a reverse sear, which is basically what you did with the ones you just cooked.  Could be the big reason they turned out so good. 

http://www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html

Thank you bruno994! I did use lump charcoal. Also a side question, where should I put a water pan when I use the smoker portion, in the offset fire box or in the grill itself

I think it's funny you discovered reverse seared by accident!  LOL, AWESOME!
roflmao.gif

Thank you bruno994! I did use lump charcoal. Also a side question, where should I put a water pan when I use the smoker portion, in the offset fire box or in the grill itself
In an offset smoker it's ok to put a water pan right inside where the heat comes in, beside providing moisture it will help balance out the heat as water boils at 212. 

I never put a water pan in my offset, but have heard others put them in the cook chamber, just outside the firebox.  I think the idea is that this helps with temp control at grate level. 

I never put a water pan in my offset, but have heard others put them in the cook chamber, just outside the firebox.  I think the idea is that this helps with temp control at grate level. 
I don't put a water pan in mine either, but mine is a RF.  I think it is more common with direct flow rigs, to help even out temps and provide moisture in the cook chamber.

A couple of tidbits on using charcoal, stay away from the match lite crap and if it's available, try some lump charcoal as well. 

As far as the ribeyes, direct heat for sure unless you are doing a reverse sear, which is basically what you did with the ones you just cooked.  Could be the big reason they turned out so good. 

Great advice.  Actually stay away from lighter fluid in any form.  Get a good charcoal chimney if you don't already have one.

As far as a water pan, my friend and I use one in the offset smoker and postition it under the food.  Gives some moisture to the food and also catches the drippings to help keep things cleaner.

Good advise. Would also add use a chimney or the little lighter cubes by Weber (use only one), never use liquid fuel. I only use water when doing a roast, shoulder or butt, never steak, chops, burgers etc. 

While briquettes get a bad rap sometimes, I start a fire with briquettes and then add lump. Reverse sear works well with more than steaks, experiment with smaller items such as chops and burgers.

I have a tendency to use more coals than needed, don't know if anyone else does. It helps having a good digital thermometer, and not rely on the one that came with the grill. This has helped me to control my charcoal usage. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky