UMAi Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Well the spanish at Bravo foods call it TT. I say brisket flat?
utt3.jpg

utt.jpg

Going in the UMAi bag.
utt1.jpg

Going for a 15-20 day dry age.
utt2.jpg

It doesn't look like either one to me. A tritip trimmed that lean would be hard to find over three pounds, 3.5 tops. Where they'd have cut the tail off a tri I believe would have been more square, that end comes to a point. Butchering seems to have got very creative over the years, with flat iron steaks, and 7-bones steaks, etc. It's all marketing, all that counts is if you like when it comes off the cooker, wasn't cheap. RAY

It doesn't look like either one to me. A tritip trimmed that lean would be hard to find over three pounds, 3.5 tops. Where they'd have cut the tail off a tri I believe would have been more square, that end comes to a point. Butchering seems to have got very creative over the years, with flat iron steaks, and 7-bones steaks, etc. It's all marketing, all that counts is if you like when it comes off the cooker, wasn't cheap. RAY
Yup
Not the TT i used to get in calif

Yeap. Color changed a lot.Is there a reason you don't want to dry a little longer? 45 days?
To long for such a small chunk of meat, need fridge space and i'm itchin to try this rub.
2dchup.jpg

Waiting to see the out come here. is this a dry cure?

By the way i was real close to you last week as I traveled down 95 all the way to key west.

Warren

Waiting to see the out come here. is this a dry cure?

By the way i was real close to you last week as I traveled down 95 all the way to key west.

Warren
you drove right past me

oh hell yea... Going North (from Sarasota) you come to Bradenton and then Palmetto... were in Palmetto... all 3 are pretty much one big place...

At 19 days dry aged. Out of the UMAi drybag and before trimming.
upic.jpg

Going to trim up a bit more. Rub down ightly tomorrow and smoke.
upic1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky