Ultimate smash burger tool for griddle ! ! !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do you recall what the name of it was to look it up online? Also, is the bottom smooth or does it have ridges?

It's their own brand. It has ridges on the bottom, I found some pics on their website.
the website shows 12.99.
mine was on sale.

43096_XXX_v1.jpg
43096_XXX_v2.jpg
43096_XXX_v3.jpg

Cool toy. A bit pricey but would be fun to have. Just a note from a guy that cooked on unseasoned aluminum pans for years...If the meat sticks, you are trying to turn it too soon. Well seasoned cast iron is more forgiving but, with meat, any pan is non-stick once it's uniformly seared...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw and nanuk
Chef I gotta ask. I am basically destroying my SS pans when searing. Totally charred and burned grease. Not trying to keep them pretty but just don't want so much crud that I have to clean them as much. Carbon steel better for hot sears? Not into CI.

I was bored at work and did some research. Turns out Smashburger has a patent on their smashing tool. Basically anything with a handle and sides on it to form the meat or smash it to a certain thickness is covered under their patent. Williams Sonoma used to sell a cast iron Smash N Sear tool, but it's no longer available. I am guessing it was patent infringement. I did find 2 people that sell a device for smashing burgers with sides and they wants big $$ for them.

Here is the link to the Smashburger patent. Looks like they covered every angle so nobody can duplicate and sell these.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130280397?oq=smashburger

This guys uses stainless and welds the sides pieces to the main plates. He wants $100 per unit plus $25 for shipping. Nice unit just like they use at Smashburger, but wait to rich for my blood. I'm guessing if he actually tried to market this, Smashburger would shut him down quickly.
Burger smasher.JPG

Chef I gotta ask. I am basically destroying my SS pans when searing. Totally charred and burned grease. Not trying to keep them pretty but just don't want so much crud that I have to clean them as much. Carbon steel better for hot sears? Not into CI.

SS has to be screaming hot before adding a fat with high smoke point. There are few better choices than Black Steel pans. They season like CI but get hot much faster. They work for sautéing or searing, all the time nonstick. They do eventually warp from all the intense heating but that does not effect performance. Lodge makes some nice ones and restaurant supply stores are a good source.NO SOAP EVER!...JJ

Reactions: nanuk and zwiller
Thanks Chef. Just confirming the black steel is the way to go. Not sure if I am reading your post right. I am thinking this:
Also, with black steel does handle get hot as pan like CI?

Thanks Chef. Just confirming the black steel is the way to go. Not sure if I am reading your post right. I am thinking this:
Also, with black steel does handle get hot as pan like CI?

That's the type. They are carbon steel and will rust if not seasoned well. They get black as CI with use, hence my habit of calling them Black Steel from the restaurant days. Easier to tell the dishwasher what you needed.☺
The handles warm up eventually but with short stir fries, eggs or browning meat followed by a quick pan sauce, there is no issue...Unless you got GIRLY HANDS!...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
I was bored at work and did some research. Turns out Smashburger has a patent on their smashing tool. Basically anything with a handle and sides on it to form the meat or smash it to a certain thickness is covered under their patent. Williams Sonoma used to sell a cast iron Smash N Sear tool, but it's no longer available. I am guessing it was patent infringement. I did find 2 people that sell a device for smashing burgers with sides and they wants big $$ for them.

Here is the link to the Smashburger patent. Looks like they covered every angle so nobody can duplicate and sell these.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130280397?oq=smashburger

This guys uses stainless and welds the sides pieces to the main plates. He wants $100 per unit plus $25 for shipping. Nice unit just like they use at Smashburger, but wait to rich for my blood. I'm guessing if he actually tried to market this, Smashburger would shut him down quickly.
View attachment 373822

I found (and joined!) this forum because of your post, so thank you! I have been trying to track down the Williams Sonoma Smash n Sear for awhile now and came to the same patent conclusion. I also found those expensive copies of the Smash Burger tool and, well those are too rich for my blood.

I have been looking at alternatives, like small, CI dutch oven lids. I am also going to ask a local welder what he would charge.

I found (and joined!) this forum because of your post, so thank you! I have been trying to track down the Williams Sonoma Smash n Sear for awhile now and came to the same patent conclusion. I also found those expensive copies of the Smash Burger tool and, well those are too rich for my blood.

I have been looking at alternatives, like small, CI dutch oven lids. I am also going to ask a local welder what he would charge.
Glad to hear my research of burger tools has come in useful! Right now I use the rectangular lodge bacon press with parchment paper under neath. I do 2-3 oz patties and it works out pretty well. I am always searching for something better! I did find one more tool for around $45 with shipping. Good Ballistic Smasher and search the first site. Still a spendy one though. Probably cheaper than asking a local welder to fabricate something for you.

My issue with making these tasty burgers is, I have to make 12 at a time for my crew. I would need a Blackstone in the kitchen to get the job done...JJ

I am a welder, I could make that, I don't think I would need 100 bucks for it either, how many people would be interested in one of those?

I would be interested. Can't have enough kitchen toys...JJ

Reactions: Binford 6100
I wonder if you could just use a tortilla press? You'd then have a tool that could be used for more than one thing. (From the description in that link: "Great for tortillas, patacones, tostones, empanadas, arepas, dumplings, mini pie shells, patacon pisao, & more")

Recently I've found another use for my 2 1/2 pound "steak weight" (aka/burger smasher). It also works great when toasting sandwich wraps in some light garlic butter. I've been doing the lower carb thing and the spinach and herb ones from Sam's Club are pretty dang good.

I love a big'ol fat burger cook med rare, but once we had smash burges I don't think I have cooked them any other way but smashed.
I like to add paper thin onions and cook them into the burgers.
I cook them on my weber gas grill and a cast iron griddle and use a S.S. bacon press to do the smashing is works out great.
The press I have has a handle on the top for easy handling when smashing. If your finding that your bugers are sticking squirt a little veg oil on to your griddle before the meat goes down.
Thanks for the reminder I need to make these one night this week for sure......yum!!!

I am a welder, I could make that, I don't think I would need 100 bucks for it either, how many people would be interested in one of those?
I'd be interested depending on the price. The only issue is everybody probably has a different thought on the diameter and height of the side wall. I found this press on ebay thinking I could use it for a smasher. It's only 3.75" diameter and about 3/8" deep. If it was about a 1" larger diameter I think it would been perfect. I am going to try it out with 2.5 oz patties and see how well it does and report back.
Burger Press.JPG

Burger Press 2.JPG

I wonder if you could just use a tortilla press? You'd then have a tool that could be used for more than one thing. (From the description in that link: "Great for tortillas, patacones, tostones, empanadas, arepas, dumplings, mini pie shells, patacon pisao, & more")
Tortilla press would no doubt give you a flat burger, but the point of the smash burger is to throw a ball of meat on the hot griddle and then smash it down so it forms a nice crust. Placing an already flat burger will still be tasty, but i don't think you will get the desired crust.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky