Ugly Dang Bird Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbrtt1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
As mentioned previously, I haven't posted regularly of late, but my feeble brain remembered to snap a couple pics yesterday afternoon. I have a trade show in a few weeks, and have not had to travel for several weeks. I dread trying to squeeze into a suite and put a necktie on.

So, in order to feed my crave to smoke meat, and still do something "healthy", I did my second Turkey Breast. Did one a while back. Well, this dang thing ugly, but the rest in the rack looked similar. The first one I did came out very well. Soooo............a few pics.

I don't inject often, but when I do its usually a bird breast and this has been a good one
IMG_0937.jpeg

I made her as purdy as I could

1688912740105.jpeg

She smoked well, though.

IMG_0940.jpeg

1688912919258.jpeg

Tasted good too. I went light on the injection relative to the first one I did, so the streaks are not as pronounced, but you can see the injection in the slices.
IMG_0943.jpeg
tempImageE49izM.jpg

Tried a recipe idea and used the air fryer for green beans. Good stuff. Trim, wash and dry them. Toss in a bowl with olive oil, crushed garlic, parmesan cheese and some salt or seasoning and into the air fryer at 375 or so. Mine is old and analog, so who really knows what the temp is. The bacon had already been cooked (I keep a baggy of real bacon bits for salads and stuff) and I tossed in a handful of bacon bits towards the end.

IMG_0946.jpeg

Fine china as usual. I had some homemade aioli, and a little BBQ Sauce for the occasional dip. It was good eatin.

This morning, I'll cut off a slab or two for eatin' and vac seal the rest. Did that last time too and it was fine.

Man that is gorgeous. And a great cook. How big was that breast? It looks huge in your pics.

Jim

Love it ! That looks great . I wish I could find them here like that . One of my favorite things to smoke .
Like the beans too . My son does something along those lines . He uses a pack of dry Italian seasoning , and goes into the oven .
I'd have to slice some of that thin and put it on a BLT .
Nice work bud .

As mentioned previously, I haven't posted regularly of late, but my feeble brain remembered to snap a couple pics yesterday afternoon. I have a trade show in a few weeks, and have not had to travel for several weeks. I dread trying to squeeze into a suite and put a necktie on.

So, in order to feed my crave to smoke meat, and still do something "healthy", I did my second Turkey Breast. Did one a while back. Well, this dang thing ugly, but the rest in the rack looked similar. The first one I did came out very well. Soooo............a few pics.

I don't inject often, but when I do its usually a bird breast and this has been a good one
View attachment 670121

I made her as purdy as I could

View attachment 670124

She smoked well, though.

View attachment 670123
View attachment 670125

Tasted good too. I went light on the injection relative to the first one I did, so the streaks are not as pronounced, but you can see the injection in the slices.
View attachment 670126View attachment 670127

Tried a recipe idea and used the air fryer for green beans. Good stuff. Trim, wash and dry them. Toss in a bowl with olive oil, crushed garlic, parmesan cheese and some salt or seasoning and into the air fryer at 375 or so. Mine is old and analog, so who really knows what the temp is. The bacon had already been cooked (I keep a baggy of real bacon bits for salads and stuff) and I tossed in a handful of bacon bits towards the end.

View attachment 670128

Fine china as usual. I had some homemade aioli, and a little BBQ Sauce for the occasional dip. It was good eatin.

This morning, I'll cut off a slab or two for eatin' and vac seal the rest. Did that last time too and it was fine.
That looks fantastic! I love me some green beans cooked like that. Papa's BBQ in Dallas makes green beans that look like that and taste amazing. They flash fry theirs but still the same looking outcome.

Great looking meal!
We do chicken or turkey with green beans a lot!
Honestly I prefer chicken, but your turkey looks so juicy!
Nicely done!
Al

Thanks folks. Twining wasn't an option. I pulled it out of the vac seal and it looked like a blob of something from another planet.

And Chopsaw, I did slice some and put it on a BLT, which I guess you could say had them become a club sammich.

I always keep a quart baggie of homemade bacon bits for salads, and sometimes stuff like this

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

Yes, that is a second layer of cheese atop the slice turkey.
And that is a bowl of au jus, and it was used for dippage.
IMG_0969.jpeg

I use toothpicks to keep it together for slicing monster sandwiches, which all min are.
IMG_0972.jpeg

I like the foil trick, or wrapping/butcher paper to be sure not to let any precious morsels escape the wrath of my pie hole. Just unwrap as you go. Kinda like eating a burrito.
IMG_0974.jpeg

Again, the fine china.

Reactions: JLeonard
It just gets better and better with that breast! Heck, I'd eat that sammich off a paper towel. Just lemme have it.

Jim

Awesome looking bird and sammie. Well done.

Point for sure
Chris

That may be ugly, But I like what I see.
I just have one question -

HOW do you have leftover bacon to put into a baggie? Mine seems to dissapear while I'm cooking it!

I get the 3 lb packages of thick cut. Whatever is on sale. I just take about half the strips and cut them crosswise about 1/3" thick. Then do the other half. Takes about 1 minute or two and then I put it all in a large restaurant style sautéed pan and 20 or so minutes later, bingo, bunch of bacon bits. I don't even try to separate them when they go in the pan. As I stir and toss they separate just fine.

At about half way in, I use a colander and pour off what is mostly water and some fat. The colander ensures that none of the precious bacon goes away. Stir somewhat frequently when done to your liking, pour that into a colander over a large metal bowl. Then ya got bacon flavored lard too.

They are not really "bits" per se, as you can see from the pic of the sammich. On occasion I save some strips to make, well strips of bacon. But I find this a really good method for using the bacon, since it can go on salads, BLTs, ice cream, martinis, ha, ya get the point. In other words, it don't have to be in strip form to be used as bacon. And it don't taste no different. +

Oh, ya gotta stash some in a secret place in the fridge. Hell the freezer if ya have to. Thaws in seconds in the microwave.

Looks fantastic!! I just pulled out one of my last vacuum packs of smoked turkey breast. Need to do some more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky