Turkey Thighs

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by schoolsmoker, Apr 9, 2008.

1. schoolsmoker

schoolsmoker Newbie

Im going to try some Turkey Thighs...just ondering about how long this would take..What temp for smoker...and what internal temp to take them to.

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

How long? HOW LONG?!?!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...36755#poststop

LOL!
    Keep the smoker up there for poultry, maybe 250-300 ish. Take all poultry to 170 min. I like mine round 180-190.

Brining is a good thing, altho with thighs you probably won't have an issue with moistness. Breasts are another ballgame tho.

3. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

LOL, I was wonderin if you seen the post!

We need to get you a hat with a watch on it, inside a red circle w/a slash through it!

And.................a picture of the "mad hunky" standing there stearnly pointing to the"roll call" section!
    [​IMG]

4. schoolsmoker

schoolsmoker Newbie

Thanks...LOL...Im sure you get asked the same questions over and over...I just couldnt find the answer

5. richtee

My pleasure :{)

6. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Brine em, then toss them in the smoker till the hit 170*. As for time, it takes a turkey thigh however long it takes a turkey thigh to get to 170*. I would (like rich said) smoke in the 250* to 300* range. Give em a spritz every now and again (bout every hour). Good luck.
    [​IMG]

7. schoolsmoker

schoolsmoker Newbie

They turned out GREAT...I took them to about 180 however...but they were still GREAT. Thanks so much for all the help...Im starting to really get into this!

8. richtee

LOL...180's OK. Thighs have alot more latitude. A breast, like I mentioned..is a bit more persnickety. We'll discuss brining and foiling and injecting then.

Congrats..and Q-view!?!?

PS check out the NEW TIME thread hahahaha!

9. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

No pics......never happened!! [​IMG]

10. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Glad to hear they turned out for you Schoolsmoker.....now you're hooked![​IMG]

11. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

yep, glad to here it turned out for ya.