Turkey or chicken stock

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forvols

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Northeast Tennessee
So if I smoke a turkey breast can I use the carcass after smoking add gibblets neck along with some carrots onion celery and spices to make a turkey stock or should I use only raw and roast turkey parts for making a stock? You know thinking the left over carcass after I slice the turkey breast.

I remove the spine of my birds then the spine, neck and veggies go in a 400 degree oven to brown. All gets covered with water and simmered to make stock....JJ

I've not done turkey but I routinely save all the bone from smoked chicken and make them into broth in my electric pressure cooker. That smoked stock makes excellent beans that I blend into smoky bean dip.

I have a big ziploc full of mixed bird stuff. I think the the marrow from already roasted bird is just as good as raw . I mix them both. Water and veggies with seasoning to cover a couple inches over. Boil and reduce a couple hours is all. Strain through strainer.
You can put all the bones on a cookie sheet and roast them 450 for a few minutes to add some flavor too. Carrots and onion with it.. garlic bulb halved in the liquid..

I put all my bones in my crockpot and turn it on when I go to bed. In the morning strain everything and there's your broth. Same basic ingredients like carrots, onions, bay leaf and celery. Add about 10 cups of water. Just google slow cooker turkey broth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky