turkey breast done too soon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sjw867

Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
I am smoking a turkey breast this morning and it looks like its gonna finish a little earlier than expected. Ive had luck wrapping pork and beef in foil and towels and placing them in coolers for hours after a smoke. How long would it be safe to keep a turkey breast in a cooler the same way. I may be 4 hours early on this smoke. Thanks

What size is it? And what temp did you cook it to? The larger the cut of meat the more thermal mass it will have to be able to stay hot in the cooler. Whenever I am stretching the limits of holding food in a cooler I will leave a probe thermo in it to track the temps. So long as the stay over 140 it is fine but if you are only cooking to 165 then it will get down to 140 pretty quick. 

It is a 6.5lb bone in breast. It has been on the smoker for 2hrs @ 230 and it is already reading a internal temp of 154f. Were not serving it untill 4:00pm and it is only 12:00 now. Thanks

It is reading with my wireless maverick. I will check it shortly manually. I dont think I am too close to the bone.thanks

The cooking process definitely did slow a little. I just pulled the breast at 1:30 for a total smoke time of 3.5hrs. The internal temp was at 167f when I pulled it from the smoker. I did leave the probe in the meat to monitor it for the next 2.5hrs in the cooler. Hopefully it will be okay. 

I would think you'd be OK at 2.5 hours. The thermo will tell the tale though. Let us know how things go. Good luck!

Turkey turned out great. kept temp in the cooler fine. When we were ready to slice it, the temp was still over 150f. Thanks, guys

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky