Trying Chuck roast for the first time tomorrow - what should i prepare for?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawtsauc3

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
I want to try a chuck roast tomorrow for the first time. what should I prepare for? I'm planning on smoking at at 260-270 it's a 3.6lber and i'm hoping it'll be done in 5-7 hours.

You should be on schedule if not done early.
It mostly will depend on thickness. 4 pound at 2 inch thick or 4 pounds at 4 inches thick.
They come both ways...JJ

Are you planning on slicing, cubing or pulling?

Chris

Then JJ has you covered. Enjoy it.

Chris

At 190-195 a Probe will slide in with just a little resistance. This should be tender for slicing. Above this temp and especially at 205+, the meat will begin falling apart like Pulled Pork...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
At 190-195 a Probe will slide in with just a little resistance. This should be tender for slicing. Above this temp and especially at 205+, the meat will begin falling apart like Pulled Pork...JJ

Awesome thank you! I was teetering between pulled or sliced but I figured if I encounter a stall then planning for sliced would work well anyway.

I want to try a chuck roast tomorrow for the first time. what should I prepare for? I'm planning on smoking at at 260-270 it's a 3.6lber and i'm hoping it'll be done in 5-7 hours.

I started smoking at 275 this season. Double wrapped with paper at 160+ and probed at 200+/-.

A 2.5 lb chuck took about 8 hours. A 4lb+ chuck took 10 hours.

Reactions: chopsaw
I started smoking at 275 this season. Double wrapped with paper at 160+ and probed at 200+/-.

A 2.5 lb chuck took about 8 hours. A 4lb+ chuck took 10 hours.

Just curious, are you measuring the smoker temp with a tested accurate thermometer? 4 pounds taking 10 hours would be excessive at 225. At 275, 1 hour a pound, 1.5 hours per Tops...JJ

Just curious, are you measuring the smoker temp with a tested accurate thermometer? 4 pounds taking 10 hours would be excessive at 225. At 275, 1 hour a pound, 1.5 hours per Tops...JJ

yeah, I missed he wanted to slice it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky