True Dry Cured Bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks delicious from here. Nice color and you can see that the meat has lost a lot more moisture versus bagging.

First tray off the slicer. Will make about 3 of these trays. Bacon is about 1/8” sliced and about 9-10” long.

IMG_1876.jpeg

My intention is to get mine going tomorrow...
Well, "tomorrow" turned into "today", only 9 days later. Life gets in the way of plans sometimes.

Anyway, here it is...
20240305_065503[1].jpg

Cure, salt, and sugar applied per Eric's SmokinEdge SmokinEdge recipe and then the white pepper and granulated garlic applied by eye. Hope it's not too much...
20240305_072146[1].jpg

20240305_072354[1].jpg

I'll be back in a couple of weeks...

I am now 10 days into my dry cured bacon and it is looking real dry. I was planning to smoke it next Tuesday (day 14) or Wednesday. Should I let it keep on or should I be concerned about the dryness and put it in a bag? I don't have the time to do anything with it before next week...

I am now 10 days into my dry cured bacon and it is looking real dry. I was planning to smoke it next Tuesday (day 14) or Wednesday. Should I let it keep on or should I be concerned about the dryness and put it in a bag? I don't have the time to do anything with it before next week...
Sometimes I get that and bag at day 12 just to soften it up before cooking. Don’t get nervous. Bag it in the next couple days and roll with it. You will be rewarded.

Reactions: indaswamp
Jump in, the water is fine!!

Love to have you join us. That’s a nice start.

Thanks guys!!! This "true dry" method has me intrigued. Think I'm gonna cut this in half and do 1 true dry and 1 vac sealed dry. Plan is to get everything going this Saturday and cure until April 19th. That's right about 3 weeks and puts me ready to smoke on a week that I have a Friday off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky