Troubleshoot Foodsaver

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I washed out the gasket, let it dry, and put it back in and the machine still labored to get that final bit of air out of the bag. But I pressed down on the middle of the lid and it got it done and sealed the bag.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm a happy camper.

I have to press down on the middle as well. Still seals fine, but it needs that little bit of help in the vac side of things.

Had the EXACT issue and bought new seals but didn't fix mine. Funny so many have the Inkbird as backup... I finally caved and used it and LOVE that bag cutter! Will look at that cleaning the valve (when I get REALLY bored) LOL. I think I have extra seals if anyone wants them.

I finally caved and used it and LOVE that bag cutter!
My Game saver has inboard bag storage and a cutter . Love that feature . I washed my seals and it didn't help . I flipped them over just for the heck of it , and it wouldn't even pull a vacuum . I ordered new seals yesterday .

Reactions: Winterrider
Matt , I would bet they are too . Simple system . I would normally clean the pump while I had it open , but didn't this time .
They're good sealers that have this happen , and people decide they're junk .
I bet mine is 10 years old .
Are you having issues with yours ?
No, thankfully not so far but knowing how to go at it seemed like good info to have on hand. Thanks a bunch Rich!

Reactions: chopsaw
I use the canisters a lot along with the mason jar lid sealers. Do yourself a favor and buy a Harbor Freight Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump. It will pull a serious vacuum easily and even works on the regular mouth mason jar lids (My Foodsaver would not pull enough vacuum to hold the small lids on)

Well , new seals showed up and didn't fix it .
It shows no sign of pulling a vacuum . So opened it back up to look at the pump .
Forgot some pics , so hope it makes sense for anyone interested .
The black " cube " back right is the cylinder . That part with the 4 screws would be considered the cylinder head .
20230706_073631.jpg
I took the head off . The black flap lookin' thing would be intake and exhaust valves .
I found a hunk of scale lodged in the one side .
20230710_074310.jpg
The valve flap just pulls off . 2 small pins hold it in place .
This is what's underneath .
20230710_074514.jpg
I remove the junk and tried it . Nothing .
No vacuum at all . I do this because I want to know what the trouble is .
So I check after each action .
So I went ahead and pulled the pump out . Motor attached to the cylinder . This is the bottom of the last pic . Piston , connecting rod and crank .
20230710_075421.jpg
I force the rod off the crank . Be careful . Then pull the piston out .
You can see some crud on the ring , and it should be coated with white grease .
It's dry , so probably not pumping any air .
20230710_075504.jpg
I cleaned it all off . Cleaned out the cylinder too . It had junk crusted inside .
I felt around the ring of the piston for burs or cracks . Didn't find any .
I didn't have any white grease so I used garage door lube . Sprays out liquid , then gels into a grease . Put it all back together .
Did a test . I could tell by the sound I was in business . Pulled down tight and auto sealed .
20230710_093548.jpg
You can't ask for any better than this . I was surprised . Better than new ( so far ) .
I guess we'll see how long it lasts .
20230710_093625.jpg
Just thought I would update , since I cleaned the valve , it work kind of , then stopped again . Not that hard to work on if you know what to look for , and I figured what can it hurt to try . Wasn't workin' anyway .

I did simular things growing up with oscillating fans. The fan would quit oscillating, I would tear it apart and try to fix it. I fixed about 50% of the fans I worked on.

It was broke anyways, right.
Lol

I have a few welch diaphram vacuum pumps I use for various things. I've done rebuilds on those, the baffles look simular to the food saver.

My food saver is 9 or 10 years old. It never gets a complete vacuum before it seals the bag. Other than that, it works perfectly. I'm going to tear it apart and perform all the great cleaning/repairs all you guys have recommended.
Thanks VERY much for all the great advice. Chop, those pics will be a huge help.
Gary

Reactions: chopsaw
When my F.S. fails to shut off. I take the hose off the jar sealer and suck up a little white vinegar, maybe a "t" spoon full. I found this tip on a video yrs ago, and it works every time. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries, but it's always worked.

Well, after vac sealing more jars, my Foodsaver refused to seal again. Something about jars and containers is messing with it.

So here I am with Foodsaver jar sealing attachments and faced with the decision to buy another Foodsaver.

But this is the answer, a $15 brake bleed pump.

It easily seals jars and containers and now I can get my Foodsaver working on sealing bags. Or buy a new one and not worry about it going bad.

Vac Pump.jpg

Reactions: BigW.
I've broke about 4 mighty-vac types of the above.
Welch diaphragm vac pump is what I use now for my Mason jars with the jar attachment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky