Tried something new!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
So the last time I did a few butts on my woodwind 24, the bottoms of them got a little tough( fat cap up). Like 1/4" of it was like jerky...awesome chewy pork jerky lol. It wasn't that big of a deal, but still bothered me a little.
So this time, I set them in foil pans with some pineapple juice, apple slices and quartered onions and went fat cap down.
Stayed up and got them on a little after 0230, with hickory and apple pellets.
Turned out really good! Shredded them up and took a few pounds inside to mix with a Carolina tangy sauce for snacks during the football game! The rest got put into a crock pot the next day to serve as supper for my side of the family's Christmas. Just served plain with 4 or 5 choices of sauces so everyone was covered! Thanks for looking!
Happy New Years everyone!
20231228_221418.jpg
20231229_135501.jpg
20231229_135534.jpg
20231229_135506.jpg

Attachments

• 20231229_142016.jpg
    20231229_142016.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 9
Looks great.

Did a no wrap pair of butts yesterday. One took two hours longer than the other. That one had some tough bark that the accountant did not like. It was a boneless butt. I sure liked the ease of not wrapping. May look at your method.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Sure does look good!

Looks great.

Did a no wrap pair of butts yesterday. One took two hours longer than the other. That one had some tough bark that the accountant did not like. It was a boneless butt. I sure liked the ease of not wrapping. May look at your method.
This is a great explanation that you can't cook to time... same type of meat and 2 hour difference in cook time!

Ryan

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Looks great.

Thanks Buckeye! I too usually wrap but wanted to this out. I will probably do cap up next time just to see the difference. I was very fortunate how close the two were in temps and how quick they were there. Way faster than I would have thought @225

Sure does look good!

This is a great explanation that you can't cook to time... same type of meat and 2 hour difference in cook time!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Not being sure on how long they take to decide they are ready is why I started them in the middle of the night! Was fortunate they both were literally identical temps this time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky