Tri Tip smoke for 50.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Last edited:
A good tri tip can be a forgiving cut of meat.   They are fantastic on the grill, even better when smoked at 225F with a quick reverse sear over very high heat.  They have tasted great at ITs anywhere from 125F to 155F (155F was a screw up, not recommended but came out surprisingly delicious). 

Two hours is about right when smoked at the lower temp.  Just be sure to slice across the grain or your jaw will get tired from chewing. 

Reactions: hoity toit
to get to an IT of 135° at the temps you've mentioned you're looking at 2-2 1/2 hours +/- That would include letting them rest for 15-30 minutes before slicing. You can keep them wrapped in foil in a cooler stuffed with towels if you finish early.

The Tri tip turned out perfect.  Raves all around.  Turned out there were 70 people, but there was plenty of meat.  It was Santa Maria style, with chili, roasted potatoes, green salad, and garlic bread.  Would like to do brisket next.  Thanks for the help.

Cooking time was 21/2 hours at 250.  IT was 125.  I did 2 different smokes because I didn't have enough room and then refrigerated for a day.  Our church has a large gas grill where I seared first then brought up to IT of 140.  The meat had a perfect smoke flavor and color with a little char on the outside. I cooked 13 TTs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky