Tri-tip done brisket style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,
The local grocery store had tri-tip on sale this week for $4.99. Hardly a steal but better than usual - if they have it at all. I went to the meat case and found only cut up packs so I went over and asked the butcher if he had them whole, which he did, and kindly provided.

I've only ever cook tri-tip once before and that was just cut up browned and into the chili pot so doing one whole was a new experience. BUT - I needed to decide: the Santa Maria style to med rare or the brisket style - I decided to go for the brisket style. I've never done brisket either so let the grand experiment begin.

The night before I did a very minimal trim them hit it with kosher salt, coarse black pepper and granulated garlic, covered and into the reefer o/n. In the morning I fired up the smoker and set it for 225°F. I figured the cook would take 6-7 hours - 3-4 in the smoke then 3ish wrapped in foil. While the smoker was heating I took out the meat, hit it again with the same seasonings then threw in on at 10:45 AM yesterday. For the next couple hours I simply checked the pit temp, IT, and pellet hopper once in a while, otherwise hands-off.

Before fridge

After o/n in fridge

Kinda just want to eat it now

TBS

Well, round about the 4hr mark @3PM the IT was 155°F and I decided to wrap it up in double foil and tossed in 1 cup of beef stock. I took a little nibble of the thin tip - tasty - heavy seasoning - rather chewy. Back on the pit. Checked in 1 hr, IT was 200°F, I gave it a good probing and did not like the feel, too firm - let it go another hr - repeat probe - better but lets keep going. Finally at 5:45 the IT was was 210°F gave a good probe and liked what I felt. Pulled it off and into the cooler with towels for about 45min.

OK, dinner time and the moment of truth. I pulled the tri-tip out of the foil to place on the cutting board and as I did so a little chunk fell off. Well, it offered itself so - first taste - it was GOOD. And it looked GOOD.

The first taste

I then cut one end of the roast off, about 1/3 of the total (there is a way you need to cut tri-tip correctly), it looked just how I had hoped it would, plenty of juice nice color - then proceeded to slice that at 90° to the the previous cut. Now the real test - take a piece - pulled right apart - take a taste - beautiful beef goodness! Tender as could be, great flavor plenty of juice. Well, I made myself a plate and some beans and salad and such, and a beer of course :) and had one heck of a good meal with more in store for tonight. This is certainly a make again in the future and a heck of a successful experiment IMO.

1/3

Cross cut slices

Lets eat!

Thanks for looking, probably my last smoke of the year as I'm off to visit the family for Christmas soon. My Brother has a smoker though so maybe we'll do something at his place :)

Last edited:
Looks really good to me, Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Looks delicious!

Hardly a steal? I think you made out like a bandit. Tri tip is $13/lb here

Good job on the tri-tip! That’s the way I smoked mine, brisket style, however, I didn’t slice mine correctly!

Liked the way you smoked yours, wrapped with beef broth. I just let mine ride for about 9 hours at 225!

Point to you!

Nice job! I've never tried a Tri-Tip, as it's almost impossible to find around here.

Thanks! Give it a go if you find some. I figure if you can find a shop that processes whole/half sides of beef there a tri-tip in there!

That looks delicious. I’ve never cooked tri tip, but I hope if I do it looks as good as that. Good job.

Thank you!

I love tri tip but also hard to find here. I've never cooked it brisky style. I always pulled at 140IT. Can't wait to try it!

Worth a shot if you find one!

Looks really good to me, Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris!

Beautiful. My wife does not eat 'pink' meat so I always do them brisket style.

Thanks. Does this look similar to how yours' turn out?

Looks delicious!

Hardly a steal? I think you made out like a bandit. Tri tip is $13/lb here

Thanks! OK, it was a pretty good deal ;) But $13? Can get filet cheaper than that, ouch!

I never tried tritip this way. Big like for teaching me a new method!

Thanks Disco! Give it try, very tasty!

Good job on the tri-tip! That’s the way I smoked mine, brisket style, however, I didn’t slice mine correctly!

Liked the way you smoked yours, wrapped with beef broth. I just let mine ride for about 9 hours at 225!

Point to you!

Thank you! I was a touch worried about letting it go unwrapped since there isn't much fat in it, but maybe next time I'll do two side-by-side and see which I like better ;) I saw a vid where Aaron Franklin did 3 briskets together: 1 naked; 1 in foil; and 1 in butcher paper, all good but very noticeable differences in the finished taste and bark.

Beautiful. My wife does not eat 'pink' meat so I always do them brisket style.
The first time I smoked some ribs my wife refused to eat them because the meat was pink. I tried to explaine to her that the pink color was a result of the smoke not that it was underdone. She would not relent o I ate all of the ribs myself. such a sacrifice.

The first time I smoked some ribs my wife refused to eat them because the meat was pink. I tried to explaine to her that the pink color was a result of the smoke not that it was underdone. She would not relent o I ate all of the ribs myself. such a sacrifice.

Oh mine closes her eyes while eating ribs. They don't last long enough for her to get a glimpse of the color!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky