Traulsen Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gaskets installed. Been latched close all day. I’ll try and get the video uploaded. See if it works.
IMG_1648.jpeg

Update: I got it hot yesterday. Took it up to 300 degrees without a problem. Only problem was the propane burner was way too much heat for the smoker. So I Let it cool back down throughout the day. Figured heck I got it hot May as well throw in some jerky. I hung 5lbs of jerky up. Started my AMZN smoker. With only the AMZN smoker going it held a temp at 130. I added a small pan of charcoal with 10 briquettes and it came up to 155-160 and held steady. After two hours I added 6 more briquettes and let it go again. After another 1 1/2 hours I checked it. It was still sitting at 155. I added 5 more briquettes and a handful of pecan limbs from the backyard. With the exhaust open all the way and the intakes open wide, it ignited the limbs and temps climbed to 175 degrees and held steady. I called it a night and went to sleep. This morning I had excellent jerky. With a 55% weight loss. It had great smoke and a nice “Pull” to it. Looks like I’ll be just adding a basket with wood or charcoal for a heat source. It’s how I grew up making it and I guess “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it”. Pink on the jerky is from where it was draped across the stainless angles I have for hanging sausage.
IMG_1652.jpeg

If I read this correctly, you ran a rubber propane hose through the side of the smoker, to the burner? All I gotta say is BOOM!!!

Buy and aluminum or stainless steel flex hose, like they use on furnaces, stoves and water heaters, or you're ask'in for problems.

What a sweet smoker, I have an 80 yr old GE refer, that I plan to turn into a smoker when it dies, the problem is I will most likely die before it will. They sure made'um to last back in those days, unlike the communist built Chinese crap they sell today.

If I read this correctly, you ran a rubber propane hose through the side of the smoker, to the burner? All I gotta say is BOOM!!!

Buy and aluminum or stainless steel flex hose, like they use on furnaces, stoves and water heaters, or you're ask'in for problems.

What a sweet smoker, I have an 80 yr old GE refer, that I plan to turn into a smoker when it dies, the problem is I will most likely die before it will. They sure made'um to last back in those days, unlike the communist built Chinese crap they sell today.
The propane burner itself put out way too much heat for the unit. I’m in Texas and it’s 95 degrees inside the unit just being ambient temp. I did run a rubber hose but was watching it like a hawk to ensure nothing went wrong. Just a trial run. If it would have been sufficient I’d get the correct hose but it didn’t work. Which is alright. And I agree. They don’t make them like they used to

Sounds like a very successful run with a lot learned about your new smoker. To be able to make any food on a first run, much less good food, is a win. Have you thought about another run where you shoot for higher temperatures and do a biscuit test? It might show you even more.

Sounds like a very successful run with a lot learned about your new smoker. To be able to make any food on a first run, much less good food, is a win. Have you thought about another run where you shoot for higher temperatures and do a biscuit test? It might show you even more.
I had a few different electric temp probes placed around the smoker in corners and at different heights. It seemed to heat pretty evenly across the smoker. Only a 3-5 degree difference. I’m waiting on a few more racks to be built. And then I will definitely do a biscuit test. I’ve got my sausage rods. My jerky rods are coming in today. And I have an expanded metal rack for the lower shelf (to be used for briskets and pork butts) ready to weld together just have to find the time

When I say it was only a few degrees of difference I meant as in per height. Everything on the top rack was roughly the same temperature whether it was in the corner or in the middle.

I had a few different electric temp probes placed around the smoker in corners and at different heights. It seemed to heat pretty evenly across the smoker. Only a 3-5 degree difference. I’m waiting on a few more racks to be built. And then I will definitely do a biscuit test. I’ve got my sausage rods. My jerky rods are coming in today. And I have an expanded metal rack for the lower shelf (to be used for briskets and pork butts) ready to weld together just have to find the time
Sounds like you have a very successful build!

I went ahead and got some More jerky hung since I got off work early today. This was all I had left curing in the fridge. This weekend I plan to play more at a higher temperature 200-250 range. But as far as 150-170 degrees. It seems to be dialed in pretty well. But of course that will change with the weather. It was already 95 degrees in the box before I even started.
71261352860__BDFCC555-73E1-4C52-BB1E-7465F5A55B8D.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky