Traulsen Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoke-N-Steven

Original poster
Jul 18, 2023
I acquired this old freezer from my neighbor. I’ve already ripped it apart, replaced the foam with mineral wool, and have almost have it completely back together. I’m working on completing the doors. I have a question with a gasket/seal for the doors. I will be putting a top and bottom latch on the doors to keep them closed. But I don’t want smoke and heat escaping either. What has everyone used for their doors? There is a 1/2” gap on the hinge side of the door so I was thinking the seal would have to at least be 1/2”. I’ve made a lot of progress and I can say the worst part was scraping the foam out. Thanks for any help and input. I will be adding a propane burner with skillet for heat source.

Attachments

• 70966915507__5A242ED4-93F7-4C5F-92CD-B3AD6CFCBC95.jpeg
    70966915507__5A242ED4-93F7-4C5F-92CD-B3AD6CFCBC95.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
  • 70995306565__2A168D72-73D8-4B87-AE8D-18A789467216.jpeg
    70995306565__2A168D72-73D8-4B87-AE8D-18A789467216.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: JLeonard
I am not sure why they didn't appear. Let me try again.

Attachments

• Smokehouse.jpg
    Smokehouse.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Smokehouse 8.jpg
    Smokehouse 8.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Smokehouse 7.jpg
    Smokehouse 7.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Smokehouse 6.jpg
    Smokehouse 6.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 41
  • Smokehouse 5.jpg
    Smokehouse 5.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Smokehouse 4.jpg
    Smokehouse 4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Smokehouse 3.jpg
    Smokehouse 3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Smokehouse 2.jpg
    Smokehouse 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: JC in GB
I was able to click on one of the pictures, then it showed up and I could scroll thru them.
Looks like a nice project. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

I was able to click on one of the pictures, then it showed up and I could scroll thru them.
Looks like a nice project. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
Same thing worked for me. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve got some ordered it should be here on Monday. I’ll get it installed and have an initial smoke next weekend. I’ve got a few minor things to do until then. I’ll post some more pictures when it’s not dark outside

I’ve got the doors complete. Just awaiting the arrival of the stove rope for the door seal. Only three things left to do. Install door latches, small hole for propane hose to come through wall, and last but not least. Initially smoke it up.

You're gonna love it when it's finished! I have one that is similar...mostly just use it to cold smoke cheese and bacon! Looking really nice!

Ryan

I've got a question maybe someone can help me out with. The hinged side of the door has a 1/2" gap between the door and the smoker. I purchased a 3/4" stove rope for the seal. I figured when it flattens down it'll provide an excellent seal. However, whenever I dry fit the seal it seemed a bit tight and I didn't want to put any unnecessary strain on the hinges. Would getting a 5/8" stove rope be better? Or even a 1/2" and just take the heat loss since the gap on that side is exactly 1/2"? I would have gotten the self adhesive gasket but I cannot find any that are over 1/4". Its my first smoker build and so I believe I am overthinking things entirely too much.

Reactions: slavikborisov
It's up to you but I think you're right and it will flatten out over time. Doubt it will hurt the hinges on the doors. Several years ago mine was tipped over in a storm and it survived.

Ryan

It's up to you but I think you're right and it will flatten out over time. Doubt it will hurt the hinges on the doors. Several years ago mine was tipped over in a storm and it survived.

Ryan
It was more or less at the bends around the corners. But I can always cut and make 4 pieces instead of bending it around a corner. I’ve got to keep telling myself it doesn’t have to be air tight. Just enough to not lose that much smoke and heat. Thanks for the help

Reactions: Brokenhandle
It was more or less at the bends around the corners. But I can always cut and make 4 pieces instead of bending it around a corner. I’ve got to keep telling myself it doesn’t have to be air tight. Just enough to not lose that much smoke and heat. Thanks for the help
Yes you are overthinking it … as long as you got something in their to remove most of that gap the heat and smoke that is produced will create a nice flow out your chimmney or stack watever you have and you won’t need to worry about it. If you have the money to buy another thinner gasket buy it, try it and see if you like it depending on the hinges the gasket is a cheaper item than replacing a hinge

And it's ok... yes, you are over thinking it... I did the same when I built mine... before I found this site. Now, it's kinda like whatever! But for some reason I have several smokers now! Ours are almost twins... but I only have shelves for smoking on one side... other side I keep my kettle in for storage. Either way you'll love it!

Ryan

Reactions: slavikborisov
Ordered a 5/8” gasket and it came in today. I dry fit it. It’ll work a lot better than the 3/4”. Have the pieces for the latches cut. I’m using the leftover stainless angle as a simple latch. 1 on top and bottom of each door. I’ll assemble them in the morning and get them hung. Mark the doors and install the gaskets after that. Once the gaskets are cemented in place, I will put the doors back on and latch it shut for 24 hours. That means if all goes well. Sunday I will fire it up and bring it up to around 350 degrees with lots of smoke, just to see how it does. I just took 25 lbs of venison muscles out of the freezer for jerky. I was thinking the first thing to smoke would be jerky because it’s not as easy to screw up as sausage. You can produce good jerky at a wider temperature range than you can sausage. Once I get everything installed I’ll post some pictures and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the help thus far.

Ordered a 5/8” gasket and it came in today. I dry fit it. It’ll work a lot better than the 3/4”. Have the pieces for the latches cut. I’m using the leftover stainless angle as a simple latch. 1 on top and bottom of each door. I’ll assemble them in the morning and get them hung. Mark the doors and install the gaskets after that. Once the gaskets are cemented in place, I will put the doors back on and latch it shut for 24 hours. That means if all goes well. Sunday I will fire it up and bring it up to around 350 degrees with lots of smoke, just to see how it does. I just took 25 lbs of venison muscles out of the freezer for jerky. I was thinking the first thing to smoke would be jerky because it’s not as easy to screw up as sausage. You can produce good jerky at a wider temperature range than you can sausage. Once I get everything installed I’ll post some pictures and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing it working for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky