toys that you can't live without

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sammysound

Original poster
May 6, 2014
toronto, canada
hi everyone

so i thought i'd start a fun little thread about bbq toys, we all love them, some have more than others, some swear by certain things

i'm still in the process of wanting/gathering, some unnecessary things like the kettle pizza and some very important things like a thermometer

so far, my favourites are weber style bbq utensil set with the fish spatula

ps, list everything, and why you like them (this will be used when trying to help me convince the wife)

thank you

I will be on your wife's side?

BBQ utensil sets?

Sets of many things?

Save your money and buy quality single items you really need.

Then try to convince her about the things you want and don't really need?

It will cost you many pairs of shoes and many purses.

But maybe worth it?

Better than a cold bedroom? 
biggrin.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
This is what I want for my deck...I have 5 grills/smokers and my friend bought one of these and it's genius. Perfect for outdoor prep and hand washing and about a tenth of the price of a real outdoor sink...

As far as gadgets and what not,...a good meat thermometer of the instant read variety and the maverick makes everyone a better cook.

This is what I want for my deck...I have 5 grills/smokers and my friend bought one of these and it's genius. Perfect for outdoor prep and hand washing and about a tenth of the price of a real outdoor sink...

As far as gadgets and what not,...a good meat thermometer of the instant read variety and the maverick makes everyone a better cook.
that is awesome, oh boy, another thing to add to the "i want" list haha

Got to have a Maverick or other remote thermometer. A Grinder and Sausage Stuffer is a must have. Speaking of Weber Kettle, the Pizza setup looks cool and I love a Rotisserie, makes incredible Chicken. The list could be long...JJ

My list is long too.  This is only the top 4...

Maverick remote therms (I have 2 of them):  they sure make long smokes easier when I can monitor the smoker and the meat from the house

AmazeN pellet smoker/AmazeN Tube smoker:  easiest and best smoke generators IMO

Thermapen instant read therm: my newest toy...a luxury because of the cost, but I love it!

And my favorite toy...my Rec Tec Pellet smoker/grill:  the easiest to use, and most versatile pit I've ever owned.  I smoke and/or grill on it 4-5 times a week.

Red

A few things I use often
1. Thermapen (have a maverick also) open box sale item and really love it's ease and instant readability
2. Amaze n tube and tray smokers, both serve a purpose
3. Grinder & Stuffer for sausage, makes life much easier
4. 12" meat/cheese slicer, again to make life easier
5. Ice cream machine w/ compressor, not BBQ toy but it's a food toy and who doesn't like ice cream...
6. Vitamix, newest toy still figuring it out, but wow what a powerfull & versatile piece of equipment.

O.K., sammysound .

good Therm.(Most of us recommend the Maverick

good pit therm. your stock therm.is probably a piece of DoDo .

a Thermopen

Some hats to state your frame of mind

or this

them ABT's

To hold you Therms. in for protection , spare batteries , probe leads and so on...

this is my prep. spot , handy , plenty of storage and folds to a small footprint...

for placing meat on if your cooking grate is a bit too black...

UDS , just because...

I love my toys , but went through a heck of a lot of begging to get them...

All that is need is your Smoker and time...

have fun and . . .

I tend to break down toys into general categories.

Toys which support specialized cooking:

1. Rib racks:  Allows you to get more ribs on the smoker at once.

2. Pepper/ABT racks:  Keep the peppers upright, so the cheese does not ooze out.

3. Pizza stones: Helps keep uniform temperature constant across the entire Pizza.

Toys which make smoking more maintenance free; toys which allow you to sit inside and be comfortable, instead of out in the heat/cold/bad weather.

4. Maverick ET-732/733 dual probe remote thermometer.

5. Some form of stoker, such as the Pitmaster IQ-120

6. AmazeN pellet tray or tube smoker.

Toys which support all types of smoking, when you are outside.

7. A pro-grade set of: Tongs, Spatula, Fork, Fish Spatula, Grill Cleaner

8. A quick-read thermometer: such as the Thermopen.

9. Prep and Foil wrap surface next to the smoker.

10. A coal-start Chimney, if you use charcoal.

Stan, that ammo box looks strangely like it might have cooled a six pack or two in its time?

Nice to see it put to good use.

M82's?  What a waste of a good ammo box?

Good luck and good smoking.

I probably have 10 of these headlamps. They are always on sale or free at harbor freight. I can say I probably use this thing on every long smoke. Either to light the fire before dawn or like today... to clean everything up when we're done and it's dark. When you live somewhere that doesn't have a street light for 2 or 3 miles, you appreciate any light you can get.

I really like this one because you can "go red" (as shown) which actually makes it easier to see sometimes. And... evade neighbors who are trying to invade when they smell the smoke...

Last edited:
I am a newbie also, but I can appreciate good toys... uh TOOLS... for doing the job right.

I just bought a Maverick ET 732 and it is SO MUCH BETTER than the factory dial thermo in my Brinkmann.

I also got a digital stick thermometer to check meat temps (Weber 6492 from Lowes).

I have a small stainless steel box (Master Forge from Lowes) to load my soaked wood chips in.

Since I already have cast iron camp ovens and a steel camp oven table used on camping trips, I have several pairs of tongs to use for various tasks (grabbing food or grabbing coals).

And I have two charcoal chimneys for starting charcoal.

Since I've used a Showtime rotisserie for 15+ years, I have the bbq gloves to protect the hands from hot surfaces and hold onto food, etc.

I do like that sink-table idea.  And the hats!

I have several of the toys mentioned and can't live without maverick, and Amazin' smokers products.

But I too, like the "Stealth" hat, and especially the table sink.   Now That is very handy! 

I just ordered one for my son, as a surprise gift, and hopes he brings me many more salmon this fall,  already scaled and filleted, to smoke, as repayment of such a thoughtful gift.  Yes, there is an agenda behind every gift.  LOL. 

Us Parents may have started off stupid, but we've learn over the years how to use guilt.  HA!

Guilt-Mobile-R-us!

For those who prep while camping, a way to make the wash and prep table even better would be to visit a boat or RV shop, get a Nalgene water tank and pump for the table for full portability.  This way a garden hose is not needed.  I used that method to plumb the sink in my last sailboat, it was nice to have running water away from civilization.

I recently seen a trailer smoker, with a gazebo on it with seating, no less.  He used the same thing.  A pressurized water tank for sink.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky