Towels for meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boomcannon

Original poster
Aug 7, 2023
Looking if someone can help. I wrapped the last brisket I made in bath towels to insulate it during the rest. In the past, I’ve always just tossed the shitty towels out. This time, I decided to try and wash them. Ran them through the washer, tossed them in the dryer, and the towels still smell like meat smoke. No problem, other than my dryer now also smells like it. I’d have no problem with that myself, but my wife isn’t a huge fan of her clothes smelling like meat smoke. I put a cup of ammonia in the dryer overnight thinking that would take care of the smell. It lessened it, but it’s still lingering. Stainless steel tub, so I don’t really know what the smell is sticking too.

Anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas for what I can do to fix this?

I've got pretty good with wrapping where I don't end up with grease on the towels. They get moist from condensation and pick up that smoked meat smell. I just hang them out in the sun to dry off and chuck them back in the cooler. The meat odor still remains, but no big deal since more smoked meat is gonna be wrapped in them.

I have forgotten and ended up with a moldy mess in the cooler a few times and had to throw them in the trash and bleach out the cooler.

As far as getting the smell out of the drier, I got nothing.

Haven’t had the smell linger after a washing myself. I would use 100% cotton towels as synthetics hold more odors. I would also wash with the kitchen rags/towels and not bath towels.

Reactions: boomcannon
Haven’t had the smell linger after a washing myself. I would use 100% cotton towels as synthetics hold more odors. I would also wash with the kitchen rags/towels and not bath towels.
Yeah, I bought a bunch of white cotton auto detailing towels. Just always threw them away after cooks. Honestly should just buy pink foam insulation and cut them to size or something.

Clean the lint trap and take the exhaust hose off and clean it as well .
Lint trap is always clean. I supposed I should check my exhaust anyway. Hope the smell is caught in there. Otherwise, I’m completely confused.

I’m completely confused.
You could try wiping down the inside with vinegar , but that's more for mildew type smells . If the towels were greasy it might help .
I washed my hunting clothes years ago with scent blocker . Washer smelled like dirt and dried leaves for awhile .
You could maybe use some drier sheets to wipe down the inside . Maybe get them damp .

I would avoid pink insulation. Fiberglass is not something to mess around food with. Wash the towels and put them in a long soak cycle with bleach first.

Add Lysol laundry sanitizer to your load when washing those smelly towels. It gets rid of some serious stink.

Looking if someone can help. I wrapped the last brisket I made in bath towels to insulate it during the rest. In the past, I’ve always just tossed the shitty towels out. This time, I decided to try and wash them. Ran them through the washer, tossed them in the dryer, and the towels still smell like meat smoke. No problem, other than my dryer now also smells like it. I’d have no problem with that myself, but my wife isn’t a huge fan of her clothes smelling like meat smoke. I put a cup of ammonia in the dryer overnight thinking that would take care of the smell. It lessened it, but it’s still lingering. Stainless steel tub, so I don’t really know what the smell is sticking too.

Anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas for what I can do to fix this?
Hi there and welcome!

I don't have an absolute fix at all but just a potential one.

If you can get a ton of whites going with an extra amount of bleach that may do the trick.
Bleach is amazing at blasting away horrible smells so if you load up with whites and go heavy with the bleach that may help.

On a different note. If you can get even just 1 layer of foil around your brisket before wrapping with the towels. That will save your towels quite a bit and very likely avoid this going forward.
I go 2 layers of foil and rarely have more than much more than a few spots where grease may get through some kinks in the foil and those spots on the towels wash with no issue.

I hope this may help :)

You need to get rid of the odor. I used to detail vehicles for a long time. A secret we used for used cars that the prior owners smoked in, was to use an ozone machine, ran overnight with the vehicle closed up. Ozone machines turn o2 (oxygen) into o3. It is NOT safe to breathe in o3. It can/may/will cause harm to any living thing, people, plants, pets alike. BUT it works. It's what hotels use to rid cigarette smoke also.

If you have access to one, place in dryer for 1hr. This should sanatize and rem9ve the odor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky