Too much smoke with AMNPS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randalldad

Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Illinois
(My apologies for cross posting this... )

I am on my inaugural smoke with an AMNPS. Using a MES30. Tray lit fine and using pellets. Tray is on top of the inverted water pan, on left side, not over elements. I have the top wide open, and the smoke tub only about 1 inch out. I started with nice thin smoke, but now at full smoker temp (275), the smoke coming out is darker and billowing. Is this too much air? I don't want to open the door to look at the tray for obvious reasons. HELP!

Yep ya might want to look. As chop said might be on fire alsosometimes when the pellets are going around the corners the smoke will pick up some. Is there anything dripping on the tray.

Good call. All of the pellets were blacked... seems like they caught fire and then died out? I assume that means there was too much air coming in via the woodchip tube? I only had it out about 1-2 inches. Close it all the way?? (I reloaded the tray and starting fresh now...) Thanks guys!

If your pellets ( or dust if using for future reference) is filled to high in the rows, embers can more easily jump rows. Maybe not as much an issue with pellets as is for dust. I don't know about the airflow being to much but grease drippings as Jim stated could be the culprit. Only have experience with the MES 40.

A ubolt modified tube placed in the bottom left burning dust is what I've been doing for years.You can click on the link in my signature for more info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky