Too many tomahawk's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
Fathers day and I decided that tomahawk steaks were on the menu. It was raining, the bridge exits were closed, we had some cancellations.

PXL_20230618_230444392.jpg
PXL_20230618_230851193.jpg

These are Costco versions and pretty thick.

PXL_20230618_230932140.jpg

Smoked on cherry at 180° on the recteq.

Should be enough meat for 5 people.

Happy Father's Day to you, too.

I eye the hawks but pass, usually go for strip loin.
Nice looking cook.

Bridges? The ones over Lake Washington?
Yes, over lake WA. The bridge has been replaced and now they are working on the exits to montlake. There is a new cap going over the freeway, civilsmoker civilsmoker has some fun pictures.

Reactions: JLeonard
Oh man those are gorgeous. Of course I'd be caveman styling walking around the front yard eating it right off the bone to show dominance over the weaker dads on the block. Grunting and beating my chest!!!

Jim

Oh man those are gorgeous. Of course I'd be caveman styling walking around the front yard eating it right off the bone to show dominance over the weaker dads on the block. Grunting and beating my chest!!!

Jim
Yes, the bones were delicious, i must be the caveman, i love chewing them off the bone. We had 2 left over, we gave one cut up to our sons, except the bone, and i expect the last one will be tuesday dinner.

Reactions: JLeonard
Too many tomahawks? What language are you speaking? Apologies but that is a concept that just doesn't register with me :emoji_laughing: Seriously, those are some fine looking steaks and done to absolute perfection.

Robert

Yes, over lake WA. The bridge has been replaced and now they are working on the exits to montlake. There is a new cap going over the freeway, civilsmoker civilsmoker has some fun pictures.
Ah yes, the west side of 520 to meet up with I-5.....

East side 520 lids......

92nd Lid - This is a kiss and ride stop with SR 530 entrance and exit ramps, it has a tunnel under the roundabout for the reginal bike path that goes into Seattle and access to the historic bike path ie the bridge over the entrance ramp.
520-KR.jpg

The 84th Lid
520-84th.jpg

I believe this is the only roundabout in the country that is on a bridge.....All kinds of challenges, note that this roundabout is a 2/1 lane combo and one lane serves as an HOV lane, it serves as and exit and entrance to SR 520 and for local business access, community access and has a reginal bike path that goes into Seattle as well as a connection to a historic local trail system.
520GoogleMapsAerialB-1024x635 (1).jpg

The Evergreen Lid (park and ride) - Bill Gate house is about 3 houses out of the pic on the left side. This is looking at the new floating bridge, across the lake is the project that has the "bridges" closed. The Regional bike path goes onto the bridge to cross the lake, the historic trail ends at the lake edge.
520-EG.jpg

....and just think I'm just a country bumkin from Idaho.....We drive on dirt roads to nowhere......

Last edited:
Too many tomahawks? What language are you speaking? Apologies but that is a concept that just doesn't register with me :emoji_laughing: Seriously, those are some fine looking steaks and done to absolute perfection.

Robert
That just came out wrong :) just too many for the number of guests. They have all been allocated and 3/4 eaten. The last will be Tuesday dinner.

They are in love with their tunnels.
520 bridge was always a cluster at the exits. Hope the new clusters decluster the gridlock. Sorry, I doubt it. There is no accounting for the stupidity of Seattle drivers.

They are in love with their tunnels.
520 bridge was always a cluster at the exits. Hope the new clusters decluster the gridlock. Sorry, I doubt it. There is no accounting for the stupidity of Seattle drivers.
Oh yes lids, tunnels, bike paths etc. Seattle isn’t the only large city that wrestles with gridlock….the reality that no one will say “it” out loud but once a certain density of people is reached in an area there is no solving gridlock of moving them around, it’s a physical space thing….even in cities that have massive moving systems and housing set up to function with these still have gridlock within these systems and getting people in and out….. the whole industry (policy and funding) is absolutely against rural living (ie urban sprawl as they call it) but it’s actually the solution to the gridlock and allowing for a disbursement of vehicles around……. All this said, the above type projects are rather complex engineering and regulatory challenges to navigate to get built………. Oh in full disclosure, I’m not a fan of driving on freeways and such, even though the design of such is my speciality……even currently working on a planing/design for 1.6 billion worth of Idaho dirt roads……the above 2.4 miles was 360M

Reactions: Nefarious
So true civilsmoker civilsmoker You can only pack so many folks into a square mile. And I will say..I am in awe of the work you do. Shoot I'm just a simple country nurse and would have no idea how to even start something like that.

Jim

Reactions: civilsmoker
Nice job, Nefarious. I eyed those tomahawks at Costco, too, but went with a brisket instead.
And I try to avoid both bridges at all cost, especially 520 with the tolls. I paid for the thing once, I'm not paying for it again.

Reactions: Nefarious
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky