Tin Foil in MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tex1911

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
I recall the instructions say never use Tin Foil over the grates. I have not tried doing that but I have tried putting the meat inside a foil pan which is basically the same thing. Kinda. I have seen on here where folks put their meats in a Tin Foil pan with success. I decided to try it and my MES didnt like it. I cant remember the exact details as it was several cooks ago, but I recall the temp swings were crazy with the tin foil pan. I will have to experiment with it some more and pay better attention to exactly what happens, but are there any fine details I may be overlooking?

Maybe it makes a difference what rack its on?
Maybe the size of the pan?

It seems the swings only happen with the pans. Every time I wrapped the meat say for example the 3,2,1 rib process, no problems with that. Its only the foil pans. Maybe it was a fluke but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Like they say in Real Estate, it's Location, Location, Location.
Look at the walls and back of your smoker. See the funny looking button and a probe looking thing attached to the wall?
Yep. Sensors.
Make sure you allow good flow around those.
Wanna use a pan, use it above those and see how things work out.

I intentionally use the water pans in mine (30 and 40 now) DRY to disperse the heat from the element.
I also use 2 different pans in mine. One is a heavy Aluminum square pan, the other I use are 1/2 size steamer pans.
But I'm mindful of the sensors.

Reactions: Tex1911
I use a SS half sheet pan in my MES 40 or my Weber kettle with a rack on the bottom to allow smoke to go all around and cook more even.
366565-0f5c6717991e76a4e3a49b74fb67b7e9.jpg
Richie

Reactions: Tex1911
Thanks guys. I am wanting to try a meat in the pan, sitting on a small rack inside the pan is why I'm asking.
I think the pan I used was bigger than the 9x12. It was too long ago. I'll try placing it to the front next time and of course trying the 9x12. After I get it figured out, I like the idea of using a pan on the next rack under the meat. That would make clean up a little easier.

My first time using it, after seasoning it, I used water in the catch pan. I then learned from this site its not needed so I don't use water anymore. I do line the catch pan with tin foil for easier clean up. I also line the bottom tray with foil for easy clean up. With another pan under the meat, maybe the catch pan will stay clean.

I am enjoying the MES but wish the max temp was a little higher. Well, a lot higher I guess. I'm sure there is a reason for it but it would be fantastic if it did get higher. I know some dont care for the glass window but I really like seeing whats going on in there.

My View is You can put a pan anywhere you want, just so you don't completely block the air flow.
I like to make sure I have an inch or two all around the pans & in between any two pans on the same shelf.
The only time I ever had a problem was when I had 2 pans on one rack, and they were both 9" X 12".
They took up nearly all space. Temp above the pans was falling, and below the pans was working fine.

I do all my Prime Ribs on a wire cooling rack, inside a 9 X 12 pan, so smoke can get under the roast. This works Awesome, and I do it with other meats too.
Heat is as even that way as any other way.

Only one rack gets a little smoky this way, and the wire cooling rack is easy to clean. Why have two racks in if you only need one!!

Bear

I think the mystery is solved. A smaller pan, located in front of smoker, and ensure the sensors are not constricted or blocked. It would have taken me many attempts to figure this out on my own. I raise a glass and toast you fella's. Now it's time to start prepping for some Armadillo Eggs. :emoji_wrench::emoji_wrench::emoji_hammer::emoji_hammer:

Reactions: pa42phigh
I can only add that I used a pan and it was too close to the back wall sensor and it screwed up my remote temp readings on my MES 30!! A newbie learning experience form sure!

You mean screwed it up permanently? Or just that 1 time?

Just that one time. It created a 5-8 degree lag in the time the heating element would come on and go off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky