Replacement parts for MES 40 Gen 1?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
Anyone have a line on parts for this, specifically the water pan, door seal, hinges, and door plastic trim? This was gifted to me by father, still works well, I don't think anything major has ever been replaced on it. The original water pan, despite looking very clean and nice has developed some very small pin holes in it, so it leaks if you don't line it with foil, but the foil tends to rip and leaks anyway. I replaced the original grill grates about a year or so ago, as the original chrome ones were losing their chrome and appeared to be rusting. I still have them, but I don't use them anymore.

I like the unit, and I don't want to retire it. But if I neglect to maintain it, it will eventually have to be retired. Its a stainless steel model with the useless window lol. I think the light still works, through all its travels. The internal meat probe even works as well as the old remote, but I really don't use either that much.

I've done business with these guys a couple of times . Went well for me , and they keep you up to date on where your parts are at .
They may or my not have what you're looking for .

You can form heavy duty foil over the bottom of the upside down water pan to keep from tearing it, then remove and place in pan and form to the bottom edge with knuckles. I'd still compare pricing with MB. I think my all SS 20070311 Gen 1 Mes 40 element was $13 just checking prices awhile back. All three of my Mes Gen 1 have split black plastic door trim mainly just the top door cap and the bottom just fell off so a couple of pilot holes and screws into the door foam insulation holds the bottom trim in place. Filled in the top cap splits with black ink so it's not yellow orange insulation you see. I'm not concerned replacing what's going to fail in a year again. The Door seals have never failed. I haven't used the Mes 40 Gen 1 oval pan for years and use alum disposable baking sheets on the bottom rack for a drip pan since I never put water in insulated smokers and need temp stability and plenty humid for smoke to stick without adding liquids. I like the windows and clean in 3 mins with a 4" and standard razor blade scraper. I had to hard wire the light with a 16 gauge extension cord through the side so plugged in is lit since I use a PID controller. The light lens is covered with foil for the last year + to keep it clean waiting for an over night smoke so I'll just tear it off when I need light and have a clean lens. Nice to have a back up element since some are no longer available.

I've done business with these guys a couple of times . Went well for me , and they keep you up to date on where your parts are at .
They may or my not have what you're looking for .
Thanks for that link, this is exactly what fried on my Smoky Hollow (I believe MB bought them out). glad I did not toss it.

1701972364184.jpeg

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks for that link, this is exactly what fried on my Smoky Hollow (I believe MB bought them out). glad I did not toss it.

View attachment 682785
my question on the above, I bought one on amazon 1500 W, it fits to my MES/Smoky Hollow and only it only got to 330 deg (empty). is that just the capability of the controller? or does the element have something to do with it? ..that is original. This is the one I bought
1703974716838.png

it only got to 330 deg (
I haven't tried mine to see how high it would go , but I was surprised at the 550 degree advertised . Seems to me something is melting at running that temp . Controller wise at least .

yeah, I would not run that high but I think it would help in recovering the heat when the door is opened. Is there some thermal cut off above 330 in these?

Do you think the element can go bad (not get as hot) or is the controller typically the weak spot?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky