Timing out a pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncheek16

Original poster
May 31, 2016
I've got an 8 pound pork shoulder rubbed and wrapped up in the fridge for tomorrow's night fight. I work from 3 -11 pm.. I want the meat ready to pull around 7 or 8 pm the next day before the fight.. when would you go about putting it on? I know the rule of thumb is typically 1.5 hrs per pound. So 12 hours.. but mine have varied in the past (this is my 3rd shoulder ). I struggle with timing out things.

Depending on what type of smoker you have, I would put it on when you get home and let it go. When it's done put it in oven on 170, cover with foil in a pan and it will be great when you need it tomorrow night

Last edited:
I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do. I've done all nighters on it before , the last time it was in the 40s at night. My walls are thin on the smoker unfortunately, but I'll be upgrading soon. I've had the ole char griller for 3 years now and have made some killer smokes on it. Love offsets. I like to tinker with the fire

Sounds good. Holding butt in oven will work out great. I'm doing 2 butts tonight that are for tomorrow night.
Can't wait to hear how it turns out!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky