Time Or Internal Temperature ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fsa46

Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
Smoking some trout and planning on maintaining a temp around 165*.

My questions is, should I go by an internal temperature ( 145* ) or a certain time to finish ?

Internal temp is the best way to prevent drying out the fillets. Since you mentioned a pit temp of 165° I'm assuming you will be curing then smoking? These fillets were smoked until 145° internal. Some people like them a little drier, so 150° would work for that.
7XDxCa3.jpg

This fillet was also cured and smoked to 145° to give you an idea of what the internal looks like.
58KVTsZ.jpg

Reactions: fsa46
Internal temp is the best way to prevent drying out the fillets. Since you mentioned a pit temp of 165° I'm assuming you will be curing then smoking? These fillets were smoked until 145° internal. Some people like them a little drier, so 150° would work for that.
7XDxCa3.jpg

This fillet was also cured and smoked to 145° to give you an idea of what the internal looks like.
58KVTsZ.jpg

Looks awesome. Do you recall how long it took to reach the 145* ?

Looks awesome. Do you recall how long it took to reach the 145* ?
I use a Big Chief box smoker, so at best I can get 180° smoker temp. This might take 2 hours for the fillets to reach 145°. In cooler weather, or if I'm smoking thicker fillets, at the 2.5 hour mark if the fillets are not nearing 145° I move them to a 180° to 200° oven to get them done. Much higher on the oven temp and you risk forcing too much of the albumen out of the fillet. I generally see a pocket here and there, but I just try to keep it to a minimum.

Reactions: fsa46
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky