thoughts ?? ( did i post this in the wrong section )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wanna-be-smoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
VT
ok so I have read the reviews and I know about the normal stuff like sealing the door better and watching for faulty temp switch and the issues with the charcoal/chip/wood tray in the bottom.  So other than that does anybody own one and have any other thoughts or ideas on this.

Im new and very novice and i just want to have something better than i can make out of my oven or crock pot

http://www.lowes.com/pd_156452-95393-MFW784BDP_4294703217__?productId=3603268&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=

thanks don

ok so I have read the reviews and I know about the normal stuff like sealing the door better and watching for faulty temp switch and the issues with the charcoal/chip/wood tray in the bottom.  So other than that does anybody own one and have any other thoughts or ideas on this.

Im new and very novice and i just want to have something better than i can make out of my oven or crock pot

http://www.lowes.com/pd_156452-9539...rrentURL=?Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=

thanks don

Any time you can smoke something it's bound to be better!! Heck, I'd chomp on gym socks out of a smoker!

Seriously, though, everyday, commercial, for every day Joe Smoker, gas, electric, charcoal, wood unit has its issue. I got a MasterBuilt Propane Smoker from Bass Pro for Christmas (I have a store locally, yeah me!!) -- it's manu temp gauge sucks, it is difficult to regulate temps, etc. (did I mention, I knew NOTHING about smoking!) -- but you learn as you go, find others with more experience with the same or similar equipment and potential mods, and develop your craft!

Good luck with whatever you decided on!! You'll never look at your oven or crockpot without first thinking... I could smoke that!!

Hi Don, you posted in the right section but you might want to edit the title of the thread to better reflect your questions.

Smokeusum gave some good advice. Every smoker has it's own quirks and needs some getting to learning and once you do you will be real comfortable with it. When I first got my GOSM I had all kinds of problems with it but now it's like riding a bike or driving a car you've owned for 10 years, it's like second nature and everything just feels right!

The smoker you linked is a very popular one, 

The more you use it the better you will get with it!

I have read some threads about them... from what I can remember (the 70's were very good to me), I've seen where people put a needle valve (i think that's what it is) in the fuel line to better control the heat.. do some more research on that and I believe you'll find what I'm talking about... good luck with your new addiction...

thanks everyone. a buddy has a similar smoker and has been using it for years and has many thoughts and ideas i cant wait to get and use it.. i have ham in the oven today that would be great in the smoker lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky