Thin Tallow to Spray Mist

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MeatLover1952

Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
I am hoping there is a way to thin beef tallow in order to spray mist over meat. It seems that oils generally squirt rather than mist. I have tried mixing a 5-1 ratio of water to tallow. It does mist, but there isn’t much tallow in the spray. I’ve read that Soy Licethin may help emulsification of water and fat. I am thinking the ration of water to fat should be 2-1 or maybe 3-1.

I have also tried warming the tallow. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Danny

Reactions: JLeonard
I’m with Jim. That said if you want something clarified then use duck fat, that is readily available and sprayable.

If I may, Why mist it? Why not heat to liquid state and mop it? Not sure what your goal is.

Jim
Jim, I’m thinking that misting will be quicker, keeping the barrel temps down. Also not touching the meat will preserve the bark better. Overall, less messy.

Reactions: JLeonard
Jim, I’m thinking that misting will be quicker, keeping the barrel temps down. Also not touching the meat will preserve the bark better. Overall, less messy.
I wouldn't worry too much about pit temp recovery. The difference in time between misting and mopping is minute. Also I'm assuming your looking for added flavor with the tallow. The tallow won't penetrate the meat so it's flavor is being added to the bark. In that case I'd think you'd want a little more tallow on the bark then a mister can provide. "Less messy" that's all dependent on the type of brush used and how careful the cook is when applying mop sauce. The bark should reset itself toward the end of the cook. If it indeed does soften some.

Just my thoughts.

Chris

Thin it with alcohol.
JimSmokes, I wondered, when I read your reply, if that was a joke. I Googled “Tallow and Alcohol” and found numerous post on alcohol thinning for mixed drinks. I thinned the tallow a little less than 50/50 with Brandy. After vigorous shaking the mixture incorporated and thinned nicely. It sprayed a gorgeous fan shaped mist…

Next concern was the mixture lightly separated and thickened a bit after sitting out overnight. The glass bottom of the sprayer was submerged in warmed (~150F) water. It only took a minute to return to its thinned state. The fan patterned mist spray worked again as before. <Happy Camper>

Plan to use Vodka, since it is mainly tasteless. I’d imagine the alcohol will flash off, leaving only the tallow.

Thanks to all who replied and thanks Jim for the great suggestion!
Danny

BTW - This is the mister I used. The glass jar facilitates warm water warming and the fan mist pattern is the best I’ve cme across.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Long before beef tallow became trendy, lard was a staple in many kitchens. Sautéing and baking were common uses, but you can use it for basting meats. A 1# brick is only a couple of dollars at WalMart, this might be worth a try to experiment with.
lXcn4kL.jpg

JimSmokes, I wondered, when I read your reply, if that was a joke. I Googled “Tallow and Alcohol” and found numerous post on alcohol thinning for mixed drinks. I thinned the tallow a little less than 50/50 with Brandy. After vigorous shaking the mixture incorporated and thinned nicely. It sprayed a gorgeous fan shaped mist…

Next concern was the mixture lightly separated and thickened a bit after sitting out overnight. The glass bottom of the sprayer was submerged in warmed (~150F) water. It only took a minute to return to its thinned state. The fan patterned mist spray worked again as before. <Happy Camper>

Plan to use Vodka, since it is mainly tasteless. I’d imagine the alcohol will flash off, leaving only the tallow.

Thanks to all who replied and thanks Jim for the great suggestion!
Danny

BTW - This is the mister I used. The glass jar facilitates warm water warming and the fan mist pattern is the best I’ve cme across.
Alcohol starts evaporating around 175° so unless you're cold smoking it has no chance of surviving in a smoker or grill but can leave a flavor behind. Grain alcohol would be totally tasteless with vodka next. I'm a bourbon guy so that's I use especially with beef.
Drunken pineapple is a favorite around here. So after grilling I don't have to worry about the age of who eats it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky